windows crash after slipstreaming hotfixes

I used nlite, RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack and a copy of Windows XP Professional including Service pack 2 (a bona-fide CD from microsoft with service pack 2 already installed) to set up my PC, none of the tweaks etc were selected in nlite. I have also installed NOD32 Antivirus and Zonealarm firewall, and nothing else.

Everything seems to be fine until I go and browse the network, I can see all the other computers on the network but if I click on a share and open it up, there is a couple of seconds pause then the hour glass appears, and a few moments after that (no more than a second) I get the dreaded "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" If I inspect the error report signiture it looks like this:

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer6.0.2900.2527 ModName: twext.dll Modver: 6.0.3800.2627 Offset: 00008167

Interestingly, I can still browse the network share underneath the crash report window for a few moments, before it closes itself. I was even able to cut and paste a file from the network share before the window closed itself. I searched knowledge base for this issue and the resolution was "Install service pack 2" but the machine has been set up from a service pack 2 CD-ROM. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a way to fix this after install?

I have 3 computers up and running now and don't really want to do it all over again.

Thanks.

Never mind. I just grabbed a copy of twext.dll 6.0.3800.2180 off an older machine and copied it to the system32 folder (overwriting the newer messsed up version).

Simple fix and all is well. :D