Help Needed

ehmod

:D I brought this new DVD RAM Drive, and attached it to the computer, but whenever the computer is switched on; this drive heats it up alot within about 5 mins, I'm not too sure what the problem could be. There's nothing wrong with the drive; as its been tested at the store whence I purchased it. The power compatibility seems fine except the the Data transmission cable (IDE) that came with it has got a high wattage written on it; I use another IDE cable though, because at first, I connected that cable to the HDD and that heated it up to a temperature just about the highest in which one can touch it in seconds. But now this drive is still creating problems; I've got a big room-fan infront of the PC to keep it cool and still it creates enough heat :(

Welcome to msfn :)

It doesnt sound like its working to be honest lol

What watt is your PSU? Its drawing less power than it needs, this can have an adverse effect.

Also, maybe your motherboard isn't detecting it properly - for whatever reason - and is causing it to overheat.

Check both the manufacturer of the motherboard and dvd-ram, and if there is firmware updates i.e. bios update may be needed due to compatibility problems with newer optical drives (could be something like that lol)

Let us know if that helps at all and anything u try.

Regards,

N.

Welcome to msfn :)

It doesnt sound like its working to be honest lol

What watt is your PSU? Its drawing less power than it needs, this can have an adverse effect.

Also, maybe your motherboard isn't detecting it properly - for whatever reason - and is causing it to overheat.

Check both the manufacturer of the motherboard and dvd-ram, and if there is firmware updates i.e. bios update may be needed due to compatibility problems with newer optical drives (could be something like that lol)

Let us know if that helps at all and anything u try.

Regards,

N.

:DI think the motherboard's fine in detecting; as i set it to secondary master; there was no problem in the computer starting up; only when I unplugged it; the computer would not start up. So its not very likely to be that problem, as for the power and wattage; I'm planning on getting a computer with 64bit processor and better motherboard; which will take a better power supply unit as well. But that's long way from now. At the moment to keep my computer cool; I keep it open and stick a big room-stand-fan right next to it on top speed; for hours. :thumbup

If your computer is running very hot, try making sure that you have a case fan back and front. The front one should draw air in and the back one should exhaust it. You should not have to take the sides off and use a stand fan!

Try different power connectors from the PSU if you can, it maybe that one of the power rails in your PSU is failing and giving a dodgy signal

I do however agree with it_ybd's comment

"It doesnt sound like its working to be honest"

Rik