98SE2ME = Killer Replacements: ME -> 98 SE

Thanks charly. The 6-30 one was the one I skipped. I just replaced setupx.dll myself instead with the one in the backed up 98SE folder.

But I got the same thing you did with the hourglass with this one.

I'll go ahead and copy the sysdm.cpl over, but I'm wondering if anything else is being skipped since Windows skipped that one. I think I'm okay because I've had the 98SE2ME on it for several versions so the files the new one is copying over are just replacing the same versions. But what about those who are installing 98SE2ME for the first time? I wonder if they are getting all the files or whether something is going wrong?

MDGx, something is up with this. Maybe it would help to go back to however it was installing prior to 6-30? That went smooth as silk and I never noticed anything skipped over that you set up to be copied like what's happening now.

Edit- There you go. Windows 98SE shows up after I copied the file over myself. Shouldn't have to do that though.

Edit2- Hey! Windows starts up faster now! But the desktop appears right after the splash screen, not showing the dos messages of my path statements from autoexec loading. It's like Windows Me, hiding dos from us! I'm not sure I like that. Make it go slower so I can see what's going on. (I'm tired this morning, so forgive me if that sounds demanding. Don't mean it that way. I kind've wanted it to sound stupid and funny.) But I did like watching that to make sure the right stuff was being loaded. Like a quick check.

Edit3- Oh. That fast startup only happens sometimes. I guess it's normal for the path loading to be done before the splash screen goes away every so often. I guess that's nothing.

Edited by Eck

Try this new edition, guys.

Most of the bugs should be fixed now. ;)

Eck:

I can't reproduce the sysdm.cpl error not being copied to %windir%\system you experienced.

Maybe it happened when u interrupted the batch file operation... [?]

Please do not interrupt the batch files, even if u don't see anything on the screen, because you will experience errors, or even worse, data loss. As far as I can tell, none of those batch files will freeze your OS, their code is designed to let them complete, even if errors occur, and so far I haven't seen any errors on my PC [i just spent 2 hours testing options 1, 2 + 3 using the 7-14-2005 98S2ME edition posted below].

Let them finish, it's much easier to fix something afterwards from within Windows, and even if u can't fix something, just let me know, and I'll help u do it.

If u would like to see exactly what those files do, please open them in Notepad. They all reside into C:\9!M .

DOS blank screen upon reboot is normal, I have added "CTTY NUL" + "CTTY CON" into some of the batch code to suppress screen output. I found annoying starring at a listing of files being copied/moved/renamed/deleted.

98SE2ME cannot [even if I want to] implement the "hidden" DOS mode from WinME, because it is "hardwired" into WinME [a.k.a. MS-DOS 8.00] IO.SYS, COMMAND.COM + REGENV32.EXE, and 98SE or any other release, will lock up if u replace those files [except regenv32.exe, which doesn't even exist in 98SE].

DOS mode operation [after reboot] may seem different [eventually slower] because I have added more batch code, which means more files are moved/copied/deleted/renamed/etc around.

VWIMaster:

I was able to reproduce the "WiaMgr" thumbnail view errors u experienced, and which occurs ONLY IF u install option 3.

A Google search and an hour later, I can tell u that it is due to a bug in WinME Movie Maker [C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\MOVIEMK.EXE], a tool which is installed and can be used *only* by WinME OS [i can't add it to 98SE2ME without further research, because it is tied up into other apps/tools/DLLs, specific only to WinME OS].

The WinME only fix is to install MS hotfix Q262806 [available only from Windows Update], listed here:

http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#WME

So I removed all buggy JavaScript code from IMGVIEW.HTT, and copied it over into %windir%\WEB . Your original 1 is backed up as %windir%\WEB\IMGVIEW.HTO .

If u would like to see the IMGVIEW.HTT changes I made, please open C:\9!M\IMGVIEW.HTT into Notepad.

There was also more buggy code into imgview.htt which was tied up to scanners + digital cameras image transfer + slideshow, which is used + installed by ME, and known as WIA [Windows Image Acquisition] Manager, another tool specific only to ME OS. WIA Manager is also tied up into Movie Maker. :(

Note that every time u run [after u installed option 3]:

regsvr32 /s %windir%\system\webvw.dll

IMGVIEW.HTT will be overwritten with a buggy copy from within WinME vebvw.dll.

If that happens, please copy the "good" 1 from C:\9!M over to %windir%\WEB .

Note that most files from %windir%\WEB are HRS [Hidden, Read-only, System], and u need to change their attributes to remove RHS [example]:

attrib -H -R -S %windir%\WEB\*.HTT

in order to be able to overwrite them.

randiroo76073:

From now on SFC.EXE info [inside default.sfc] is updated upon next reboot with all newly installed WinME system files.

Have fun.

Edited by MDGx

-uh oh... XCLONE, which is used here to make the original windows OS backup, has the same flaw as most copy/zip/backup utils: it will sometimes swap the "~1", "~2", Short File Names (SFN's) of files/dirs! (this bug even eludes it's built-in "verify destination files" function...)

-This will screw-up links (inside the Registry, too), sometimes causing instability, functional issues, errors, etc... Backups need to be reliable, always... XCLONE needs to be replaced...

[-but good luck, I've searched/tested looooong and hard, for ANY copy/zip/backup progs which DON'T have that very same flaw, and only XXCOPY and DOSLFNBK dealt with that issue properly!... (and even doslfnbk has limits: very large sub-dirs, like Plus!, X-Setup, etc, need to be done separately, or cross-linked files/errors will result]

-If you (MDGx) write the authors of XXCOPY, asking permission, they might give it, as per the documentation regarding freeware re-dist... -otherwise, the only (reliable) way I know of, is using doslfnbk along with pkzip "-n"...

>;]

Edited by PsycoUnc

-uh oh... XCLONE, which is used here to make the original windows OS backup, has the same flaw as most copy/zip/backup utils:  it will sometimes swap the "~1", "~2", Short File Names (SFN's) of files/dirs!  (this bug even eludes it's built-in "verify destination files" function...)

-This will screw-up links (inside the Registry, too), sometimes causing instability, functional issues, errors, etc... Backups need to be reliable, always... XCLONE needs to be replaced...

R u trying to find more work 4 me? [just kidding :)]

Thanks for your advice.

I actually plan [sometimes in the future when I'll find the time] to change the entire backup procedure for options 1 + 2, and avoid backing up the entire 98SE OS. Will slim it down to back up only the files that will be replaced by WinME files, plus the registry [*.DAT] files.

This will also save time + disk space.

And I'll probably use the plain DOS based COPY command [built into COMMAND.COM] to do this, and do away with xclone or other similar tools. This will also reduce the size of 98SE2ME.EXE.

I've read the xxcopy license, and I don't think the author will make an exception just to let me use it in 98SE2ME. ;(

Besides, xxcopy.exe is huge [~ 268 KB in size], and I need to think of everybody, including the people who still use dial-up/analog/56k modems.

But I'll take look at DOSLFNBK, and maybe I find a way to use it to backup the LFNs.

The good part is that I don't need to backup C:\Program Files [i never did], which would be a major pain, due to its many LFNs that would be "translated" into wrong ~1 ~2 etc SFNs.

Besides, as far as I recall, all 98SE files replaced by ME files that I need to back up have SFNs [except the few from %windir%\WEB\Wallpaper = which are now backed up before installing option 3], and that makes it so much easier to use a primitive tool like MS COPY command.

Hop this helps.

Edited by MDGx

-good idea, just backing up what 98se2me replaces/changes... I always wanted to suggest that, but didn't wanna make that much more work for ya :P;)

(btw, doslfnbk's license is slightly ambiguous: first paragraph says 30-day trial, but 2nd paragraph relates to freeware re-dist:

"

You are free to distribute unmodified copies of the complete DOSLFNBK package, provided your total charge is no more than $1. The total cost of a compilation (e.g. a CD ROM) including DOSLFNBK must be no more than $1 per package in the compilation.

"

--2nd paragraph doesn't specify that u must have purchased the full license, prior to re-dist... only specifies that ya can't charge more than $1, total... hmmm.... )

...and pkzip, forget about it... maybe I looked in the wrong place, but unless I'm wrong, it mentioned OVER $1,000 for a license! sheesh... perhaps that's just a "commercial" license, not relating to freeware, dunno... but ya don't really need pkzip, anyway... just need doslfnbk... (or get one of the coders in these forums to blast up a quikie mini-replacement for xxcopy, I can already think of the simple logic for it, just not familiar with present day OS-coding...)

>;]

(btw, that latest "experimental" addition to 98se2me, is that still rated as "experimental", or is it now considered completely safe?)

Thanks for the info.

I'll look into the doslfnbk license.

PK(UN)ZIP sucks big time: it is LFN compatible only in Win9x/ME but not in NTx, and like u said, it doesn't have a clue about LFN/SFN aliases.

I prefer 7-zip command line [7ZA.EXE]:

http://www.7-zip.org/

because it is 100% free [GNU GPL license], and creates much smaller ZIPs than PKzip, and besides, 7-zip is LFN compatible with all 9x/NTx releases.

I haven't checked 7-zip for accuracy on keeping LFN/SFN aliases, though.

If u have the time and test 7-zip, please let me know.

About the wdmaud.* files from ME:

I haven't received any error reports, but u never know, it could depend on audio hardware. [?]

I am using both these files since 7-1-2005 with my CL Audigy2 Platinum PCI sound card, and haven't experienced any errors so far.

But as usual, these 2 files are tied into other *.SYS [WDM style] drivers 98SE2ME replaces with ME files into %windir%\system32\drivers , so they wouldn't work just by themselves.

I can only hope for the better. ;)

Edited by MDGx

-yup, tested 7-zip (that's my preferred zipper, too, use it all the time), and yup, it fails too... but my main gripe w/7zip, is that I haven't been able to get it to work in real-mode dos... ???... always says it needs to run in windows... and I think I was using the rite command-line version... ?...

-about "experimental": I'm building a "primary" (safest) backup os, from scratch, backing up every major step of the way (up to backup #7 rite now; next one oughta finish it), so in the future I'll only have to restore a backup, instead of goin thru this full-fresh-reinstall crap each time, so I'm only putting in VERY safe stuff; therefore, I don't want any potentially experimental stuff in it, so I guess I'll stick w/the previous version of 98se2me... (or, if I miraculously find the motivation, I'll just pick apart your current version and yank the experimental stuff; it's only 2 files, is it?)

-ps: let me know if anybody has been able to get 7zip to work in real-mode dos, and if so, what was my dumb-*ss error?

>;]

(btw, 7-zip is sooo awesome, I can zip-up ALL 7 backups (together, 7z, 8mb, 16word) into 2 files (progs, wins) which together fit on a single cd! gotta luv that! 44,100 files! 3.3 gb orig! and it includes counter-strike 1.6, which BY ITSELF is 717mb orig!)

Edited by PsycoUnc

Try this new edition, guys.

Most of the bugs should be fixed now. ;)

Enjoy.

Great--it doesn't freeze while initializing the desktop anymore!

Everthing seems to run fine and installation was smooth.

Couldn't be happer!!! THANKS for all the work and speed in

fixing any problem. Don't know how you do it.

MDGx,

Miscommunication here.

I didn't interupt the batch file. When Windows rebooted (automatically by 98SE2ME) it could not initialize the desktop completely, just leaving the hourglass sitting there and no icons displaying. I left it like that for about 20 minutes before hitting ctrl-alt-delete. When I hit that it rebooted right away (didn't bring up the Close Program box).

When it rebooted, the WDM files were changed according to System File Checker, but the System Properties change was not made. So I copied over the file myself and all (I think) was well.

I'll install the new one and see what happens.

Charly had the same problem. Nice to see it's not there for him with the latest update.

Ahhh. That's better.

I even saw it working when the splash screen went away.

No Windows freeze on startup.

Great stuff!

Oh. do you know what the MAPI32.dll file does? Every time I run a software update, like the latest Nero update for example, it installs a really small version of the file. But when I run 98SE2ME it replaces that file with what I guess is the version on the Windows Me cd, which is bigger. I'm talking like the small version being about 7kb and the Windows Me one being something like 700KB. Nothing seems to break no matter which version is on there, but I was wondering what it does and why media type software (I think WMP9 installs the small version as well) seems to like to overwrite the original file with the smaller version.

-yup, tested 7-zip (that's my preferred zipper, too, use it all the time), and yup, it fails too... but my main gripe w/7zip, is that I haven't been able to get it to work in real-mode dos... ???... always says it needs to run in windows... and I think I was using the rite command-line version... ?...

-ps: let me know if anybody has been able to get 7zip to work in real-mode dos, and if so, what was my dumb-*ss error?

7-Zip [7za.exe] is designed to work only in Win32 GUI mode, even if it is a ["console" as it is also called in NTx] command line tool. Does not have a real DOS mode module. It's pure 32-bit.

If u would like to have real DOS mode support for the 7Z format, u could email the author and ask if he plans developing such feature:

http://www.7-zip.org/support.html

Bummer, I guess I won't replace xclone with 7za.exe in 98SE2ME after all. :(

FYI about the 2 WDMAUD.* files from ME:

I've also installed them on a friend's PC who has a CL SB Live! 5.1 Gamer PCI audio card, and works great so far.

Hope this helps.

Great--it doesn't freeze while initializing the desktop anymore!

Everthing seems to run fine and installation was smooth.

Couldn't be happer!!! THANKS for all the work and speed in

fixing any problem. Don't know how you do it.

Very glad it works properly on your computer now. :yes:

How I do it:

with a lot of patience, experimenting + [never enough] time set aside for testing. :wacko:

Enjoy.

Ahhh.  That's better.

I even saw it working when the splash screen went away.

No Windows freeze on startup.

Great stuff!

Oh.  do you know what the MAPI32.dll file does?  Every time I run a software update, like the latest Nero update for example, it installs a really small version of the file.  But when I run 98SE2ME it replaces that file with what I guess is the version on the Windows Me cd, which is bigger.  I'm talking like the small version being about 7kb and the Windows Me one being something like 700KB.  Nothing seems to break no matter which version is on there, but I was wondering what it does and why media type software (I think WMP9 installs the small version as well) seems to like to overwrite the original file with the smaller version.

Sorry, I didn't know it froze your computer for over 20 minutes. Bummer. Never froze on my PC, so I couldn't reproduce that. ;(

But I'm glad it works properly now.

MAPI32.DLL is responsible for e-mail interface in all Microsoft apps [Outlook, Outlook Express, Exchange etc] as far as I know.

MAPI = Messaging Application Programming Interface

More info:

http://www.outlookcode.com/d/mapi.htm

Even more info:

http://www.darkweb.com/~beng/exchange/mdevfaq.htm

The newest build that supports 9x/ME is the 1 from WinME setup CD as far as I'm aware.

My guess would be that the programs that replace the MS file with their own, probably install a fake API/stub, therefore the difference in size. I have no idea why they do that.

You may want to email them [Ahead Nero for example] and ask.

Hope this helps.

-re: 7-zip for dos mode:

-no need, I've got that "Rescue" CD working (98se-OS-running-on-a-cd thingy), so anytime I totally lose all windows on HD, I can just pop in cd, win98se boots up AND RUNS COMPLETELY from the cd (and in RAM, of course), not using any HD space, and I instantly have win32 environment to use 7-zip to restore a backup to HD...

-works pretty good, tho VERY SLOOOOOW..... thinking about trying some tweaking, like loading most of it into RAM first, running the OS mostly from RAM instead of entirely from CD... -again, motivation issue... :whistle:;)

-so, no REAL need for real-mode stuff, always have that OS-CD available... tho it takes FOREVER and a half to boot, so real-mode tools are preferable...

(oh yeah, I also keep an ancient 1gb HD with emergency safe win98se OS on it; more than once I've plugged that in, here and at friends' houses, actually quicker hooking that up as boot-drive than waiting for dam OS-CD to boot! :D

I've got that "Rescue" CD working (98se-OS-running-on-a-cd thingy), so anytime I totally lose all windows on HD, I can just pop in cd, win98se boots up AND RUNS COMPLETELY from the cd (and in RAM, of course), not using any HD space, and I instantly have win32 environment to use 7-zip to restore a backup to HD...

-works pretty good, tho VERY SLOOOOOW..... thinking about trying some tweaking, like loading most of it into RAM first, running the OS mostly from RAM instead of entirely from CD... -again, motivation issue...

-so, no REAL need for real-mode stuff, always have that OS-CD available... tho it takes FOREVER and a half to boot, so real-mode tools are preferable...

(oh yeah, I also keep an ancient 1gb HD with emergency safe win98se OS on it; more than once I've plugged that in, here and at friends' houses, actually quicker hooking that up as boot-drive than waiting for dam OS-CD to boot!

R u loading SMARTDRV from config.sys or autoexec.bat on that 98SE boot CD?

Because that CD [besides spinning way slower than a HD] loads probably only a minimal Windows GUI, and in that case probably doesn't have 32-bit disk/file cache enabled, so it runs in slower "MS-DOS compatibility mode". The only fix for that is smartdrv.

Example [for single HD/partition = C]:

- autoexec [no need to load it with LH, cuz smartdrv loads itself in UMA if it detects an UMA manager already resident in memory]:

SMARTDRV 12288 C+ /N /Q

-config:

INSTALLHIGH=SMARTDRV.EXE 12288 C+ /N /Q

This gives Windows 12 MB of disk cache, but works only in "MS-DOS compatibilty mode".

FYI: to load smartdrv "high" in config.sys [a.k.a. in the Upper Memory Area (UMA)], u need an UMA manager like UMBPCI, QEMM386, RM386, 386MAX or MS EMM386.EXE in config.sys.

UMBPCI [the best + it's free] requires compatible mobo chipset to work properly:

http://www.mdgx.com/umb.htm

complete list of chipsets that work with UMBPCI:

http://www.mdgx.com/umb.htm#REQ

chipsets with problems:

http://www.mdgx.com/umb.htm#CHI

You can find more details on how to do this [and more DOS tweaks to maximize performance] in MEMORY.TXT, part of W95-11D.EXE [1.15 MB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/95.htm

Have fun.

Edited by MDGx