power supply or motherboard problem?

renzki

my problem is that after turning my computer on for about 20-50 minutes, the hard disk cannot suddenly cannot b detected anymore... there are also times that the hard disk cannot be detected during boot up... i have tried replacing the hard disk ang the same thing happens... i also tried reinstalling windows xp but the problem still persisted...

should i be concerned with the motherboard or the power supply???

motherboard: shuttle

hard disk: seagate 7200 rpm 40 gb (new)

power supply: 300w

no cdrom drive

no disk drive

onboard video (8mb shared video memory)

when the problem occurs, the motherboard is still lit up and i can also hear the hard disk spinning... during this time also windows displays the dreaded BSOD and when i try to restart, the hard disk cannot be detected anymore... i go to the BIOS to do a HD detection but it cant be detected anymore... ive also tried replacing the cable but to no avail... then after turning off the computer for some time, the HD shows up again...

we have 10 computers here with the same specs... this one computer is giving me a headache and i dont know much about where to look at about the problem...

Well if you have 10 computers that are the same, you can switch some parts around to try and figure out which part is causing the problem. First switch out the power supply with a different computer. If it is the power supply you will start getting that error on the machine that you switched it with and the computer you took it out of should now work ok. Then repeat the step with the motherboard if needed. Sounds like a lot of work, but it would help you isolate what the problem is. Then once you figured out which one is the problem replace that part.

Have you tried running a Knoppix CD on the system to see if the problem exists there as well?

My gut instict tells me it's something with the mobo. Usually when power supplies fail, it causes the whole system to stop responding, not just the hard drive (that would probalby be one of the last things that you'd notice).

try simple things first-

*re-install mobo drivers (specifically IDE controller) sounds like the IDE controller is going bad

*replace the HDD data cable

*check your CMOS battery

*turn on/off PnP OS in BIOS

• 3 weeks later...