VLAN -Voice/Data/Video

OK, maybe this is not something you would come to a forum for but hey :D

Were looking at completely re-doing our network and putting a system in place with vlan's dividing our network.

Now that's relatively straight forward BUT we can't (not advised) to use your data network for both video and audio aswell as data.

This is where the question starts. To setup diff VLans to support your data/voice/video accross switches seems like a solution but how would you design your IP structure ?

and how would you set it up ? anybody here have exp with something similair ? or do you perhaps know of website that could answer some /all of these quesions.

Thanks

Minus Human

It’s do-able, just make sure you have the bandwidth to support it. Its been awhile since I've messed with VLANS but something along these lines should work, although I don't know your setup so maybe it won't :)

You will need at least 3 VLANS (I would suggest actually making 4, the 4th one being for administrative purposes but that is optional). Anyways one VLAN will be for data, one for video, and one for audio.

Now there's a few ways you can do this: you can divide each switch into several separate VLANS or use a single switch for each VLAN, or a combination of both. The main thing to remember is that each specific VLAN has to be the same number/name on each switch.

For example let’s assume you’re dividing Switch_1 into 4 VLANs. VLAN 1 (admin), VLAN 2 (data), VLAN 3 (video), VLAN 4 (audio). Now every other switch involved will have to use the same VLAN numbers/names. So on Switch_2 VLAN 1 will be admin, VLAN 2 data, etc. Then you’re going to have to enable VLAN trunking for the VLANs to communicate and do some other configuration.

Some of this can be a pain but not too bad. If you’re using Cisco hardware I can help get you started, if not then I would suggest reading up on configuration manuals for your specific hardware. I hope this can at least get you started; sorry if anything is off a bit I am a little rusty, Jon.