Start Explorer.exe high priority

Zxian

Hey everyone,

I remember reading a while back that you could start the explorer shell in high priority on startup. Is this true or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Secondly, would this be a good thing or not? Since Explorer.exe is one of the underlying processes from which everything else is run, wouldn't it be a good thing to have it set at a higher priority so that it can deal with everything it needs to?

As a side bar... is it possible to start any startup program in high priority? I've tried doing something like

start /HIGH "C:\Program Files\AveDesk\AveDesk.exe"

as an example, but I get an error message when I reboot.

Thanks for the help!

I believe since START is a dos command and not actually a program, you'll have to write a cmd or bat file with that command and shortcut that for startup.

Not sure if I would want anything other than the OS in high priority. I hate how a crashed program can drag down the whole system cause it has equal priority with the rest of the system.

But is it possible to start the explorer.exe process in high priority? That would be the golden egg for me... or somehow setup the system to always set explorer.exe to high priority, like winlogon.exe and csrss.exe are.

Forcing anything into non-native priority is usually a bad idea.

Why is that? By default, most programs start in Normal priority, but there are some cases where I do want a program to have a higher priority than other stuff (say for example, an analysis program that needs to run for a while).

Maybe "Above Normal" But High and Realtime Are Not Good As May Crash U're System, ..And Yes It Works :D, U Can Try With HIGH For a Time And See How It Works !

I have tried setting it to High and I've never had any problems... It's actually helped a bit with performance of browsing through folders and such... that's why I'd like to have it set to that as default.

I must agree with Stop, native priorities is what was process designed for... Sometimes it is better to give less priority (I personally have processes InoTask.exe with low priority, it is scheduled AV scanner), but only after LONG testing...