running programs before desktop loads

I am trying to execute a program before the desktop loads, like what happens with RunOnceEx after a fresh install, but have it happen every time I restart instead of just once. How do I go about doing this?

I haven't experimented with this for a while but I believe that the Run key is executed prior to the desktop appearing.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

well i'm going to be using XP as my OS for an emulation box. I just need it to run my emulator and I want to hide as much of windows as possible, including being mouse and keyboard free (using a usb controller).

well i'm going to be using XP as my OS for an emulation box.  I just need it to run my emulator and I want to hide as much of windows as possible, including being mouse and keyboard free (using a usb controller).

Put your emulation in the registry (or use msconfig)

afterwards, you let windows run the following command:

taskkill.exe /f /im explorer.exe

If you aren't wanting to run the Windows Shell (explorer.exe) then you can use your emulator software as a shell replacement. To replace the shell you simply change the Shell key in the following registry location:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon

This is probably the best solution if you don't want Windows running in the background.

I wrote an batch file and run it from the startup folder.

This batch file adds the programs back into the runonceEx key

batch:

regedit.exe /s "runonce.reg"

runonce.reg:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx]
"Title"="A nice title"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\0001]
"1"="\"E:\\Mijn documenten\\Mijn computer beheer\\program_to_run.exe\""

I know there is a better way to do this, but it works :thumbup

I know there is a better way to do this, but it works

The better way is to use the Run registry key. I modified your example:

;Add entry to Run key
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"MyApplication"="C:\Program Files\MyApplication\MyApplication.exe"

Ok, I tried running the application as the shell, which was a fantastic idea. The problem is that I have the program set to shutdown the computer on exit. When it exists, windows immediately tries to run the program again and I get an error message saying windows can't start that process because it is shutting down.

This has never been a problem except now when i run the program as a shell. Is there any way around this?

i've tried setting the autorestartshell to 0 (it was on zero by default).. it still seems to propagate endlessly. Can I not run a shell that ends, without XP automatically restarting it?

(this is with minilogon)

• 3 weeks later...

never really messed around with using a different shell or anything like that (but it is cool idea) anyway how are you shutting down? maybe using a shortcut to call shutdown.exe (or a batch that would do this) with the appropriate switches? don't know if this is even relevant to your situation just trying to toss out some (hopeless useful) ideas. sorry if i'm not getting this...