Windows Activation

ameisez

Is it posible to slipstream my windows xp pro sp1a OEM CD and use the serial of another Windows XP such as corporate serial so i will not activate it again. my corporate xp cd is corrupted. i am planning to use my oem xp files, slipstream it and use my corporate serial.

is it posible?

thanks.

Yes, you can use a Corporate VLM to activate WinXP SP1 Pro, in fact you can with any Pro version of windows... The only thing is, is it legal, are you breaking the EULA/License Agreement... But as in windows accepting the key, the answer is yes

I don't want to undergo activation routine. what i want is to use the cd key of the corporate XP in my unattended windows slipstreamed installation CD.

will it accept the cd key eventhough i use oem xp installation files in my slipstreamed cd?

With WinXP Pro, you very rarely will need to go through oobe, just so long as you supply the install with the proper cd key, it will work with no verification with microsoft, especially considering its a VLK.

Yes, you can use a Corporate VLM to activate WinXP SP1 Pro, in fact you can with any Pro version of windows...  The only thing is, is it legal, are you breaking the EULA/License Agreement... But as in windows accepting the key, the answer is yes

i thought there were three different versions of cdkeys that go with specfic versions?

i mean.. VLM cd key is only usable on corporate version... no?

you cannot use VLM key on OEM version. it won't even accept the key

I dont actually know about the OEM version, however, its just a key, I have successfully used both a VLK and a SUK for a bog standard off the shelf WinXP cd...

I was simply thinking that because OEM's can create standard installs, wouldn't it also accept a VLK? now i could be wrong considering that i dont have the windows source, but the msoobe.exe doesnt change whethor its an Home, Pro SUK, Pro VLK, ect...

If you install an OEM version using a VLK key you will still have to activate it. The key is not what determens wheather or not your copy requires activation. That is if it really is possable to use a VLK on a OEM disk. I could be wrong but my experinces has proved that it is not possable with out changing the PID in the SETUP.INI file. And that doesn't get around the oobe part which is were the activation takes place.

There are 7 differenct types of keys: Home Retail, Home Upgrade, Home OEM, Pro Retail, Pro Upgrade, Pro OEM, and Pro VLK. None are interchangalbe with each other.

Just do it right and activate your OEM copys the proper way.

You can not use a VLK with an OEM disk. It will not work. Further more, if you really have to ask these questions then you do not have a Volume license with Microsoft. Further more, if you DID have a legit VLK then you could contact Microsoft to get a new CD. Think of the headache it would cause if you could use your VLK with your OEM CD... People would be going to work and extracting their CD key from their office PC and running it at home.

@mattofak: I have successfully used both a VLK and a SUK for a bog standard off the shelf WinXP cd...

I'll call your bluff on that one...

There are different files in the corporate i/386 folder...that allows the 'no activation' needed...so in order to make a Standard/OEM XP Corp...you will need to replace the files with them..... :hello:

@ un4given; its true, i would send you my SUK and VLK and CD to prove it if it wasnt completly illegal...

in all my experiance, if you have ANY SORT of WinXP Pro key, and you enter it during install, then you a)do not need to activate with microsoft, and b)will work with any WinXP Pro Activation key, it will not work with a WinXP Home key

:EDIT

I have to ammend that statement a bit actually, its a bog standard off the shelf WinXP Pro Retail SP1 version 2002 Edition...

also have done it with a slip streamed SP2

(just for kicks, i just tried installing WinXP home with my VLK on VMware, and nope, it didnt work...)

SUK: Standard User Key, like a Volume License Key, but its only for single users., its the generic term for Retail Keys and Upgrade Keys...

you must be referring to the key in UNATTEND.txt

that key can be used for installation but it cannot activate the windows nor will let you use windows. it's intended to use for multple system deployment