Help! Win2000 not detecting my external HD

heymike

Hey everyone...

I just bought a 60gb external hard drive but windows won't recognize it! I actually had it running once by plugging it into the USB port on my laptop (it wouldn't register on my USB hub/pci card). When I did that, Windows automatically gave me the "adding new hardware" dialog box. But then, I had to restart the computer and now suddenly it's gone.

Here's what I've tried so far:

1. Finding it through "Add/Remove Hardware"

2. Plugging it in, then restarting

3. Restarting, then plugging it in

4. Plugging it in, unplugging it, then plugging in again

Do I need to adjust some network settings or something?

Please help!! I've already moved a lot of stuff to the drive and I really can't afford to lose it. Thank you!!!!

(about my HD: I'm in Korea and the only external drives available are ones where you have to buy the drive and then buy a separate case/enclosure to house it. The case has a USB port on it. No software was included - apparently not needed. The drive is a Fujitsu)

If your laptop isn't a Windows 2000, but your desktop is, then you might have drivers on your laptop that your desktop doesn't have. In short: get the right drivers.

Hey all, thanks for replying... after beating my head against the wall for a day, I took the drive back to where I bought it. Turns out the drive enclosure was faulty! Pfffffft.