Need a replacement..?

cal_01

Hello everyone!

My 90-day trial of Norton IS ran out, and after many problems, I'm interested in the product anymore.

Currently, I'm looking for a set of programs that can replace some of its functionalities, namely:

- A good anti-virus

- A good firewall, preferably one that doesn't need much user interaction

- A good ad/content blocker, preferably not the HOSTS method

I'm thinking of nod32's AV beta, because I've been getting good results with it on another computer.

However, the firewall and content blocker are a bit harder to find. I would prefer both features to be on the same program, but it doesn't look like there's many programs out there that do both. Also, I would like the programs to have the smallest footprint possible; I find that NIS can sometimes be a hassle to load up or adjust settings, because it's a resource hog.

I've checked out the best AV/Firewall threads, but I don't see much technical stuff in them. I've also checked a lot of "analysis" and "review" sites, but they aren't much help either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

PS. Free/low cost programs are good. ;) I'm a poor starving student..

Here is a free mcafee firewall. Link. This is what i used untill i got a hardware firewall, worked fine for me.

As for av, i`ve been trying out nod32 aswell, and, i like it, will probably buy it if the trial ever runs out (hav`nt see any countdown or nag screens)

But ye, check out the stickies.

Um, I've already said that I've read the stickies already.

I'm looking for more technical information on the software available. Each respective software site and their reviews aren't very helpful.

But nevertheless, thanks for your input! :)

My combo is NOD32 (AV) and Sygate Personal Firewall. I've found that this is the fastest combo out there and at the same time, the least memory intensive.

NOD32 is very well known for having a small memory footprint and being blazingly fast. The "tests" that put it in 28th place (or whatever) also test for Trojans and malware, something that NOD32 was not designed to deal with. As for the trojans, read the next bit. Malware is a completely separate topic. If you want to compare an all-in-one solution (like Norton is trying to do nowadays) to NOD32, then you're comparing apples and oranges.

Sygate is a fantastic firewall that needs very little setup for the common user. It will ask you the first time a new app tries to connect to the net, and you can choose to have your decision remembered for next time. The only time I've noticed Sygate slow down my computer is when I was transferring files across the network at 12MB/s (total throughput). For common everyday surfing you don't even know it's there.

As for content blocking, get Firefox or Opera and configure the corresponding content blockers. It's the best way possible.

Hope this helps!

My combo is NOD32 (AV) and Sygate Personal Firewall. I've found that this is the fastest combo out there and at the same time, the least memory intensive.

NOD32 is very well known for having a small memory footprint and being blazingly fast. The "tests" that put it in 28th place (or whatever) also test for Trojans and malware, something that NOD32 was not designed to deal with. As for the trojans, read the next bit. Malware is a completely separate topic. If you want to compare an all-in-one solution (like Norton is trying to do nowadays) to NOD32, then you're comparing apples and oranges.

Sygate is a fantastic firewall that needs very little setup for the common user. It will ask you the first time a new app tries to connect to the net, and you can choose to have your decision remembered for next time. The only time I've noticed Sygate slow down my computer is when I was transferring files across the network at 12MB/s (total throughput). For common everyday surfing you don't even know it's there.

As for content blocking, get Firefox or Opera and configure the corresponding content blockers. It's the best way possible.

Hope this helps!

Actually, this helps tremendously. Thanks!

NOD32 isn't free is it?

I use Outpost Firewall and AVG Free Edition.

I've tried Kerio Personal Firewall 2.15 as well. Kerio uses fewer resources, but Outpost seems more user friendly. Sygate Personal Firewall caused bugs for me (stuttering mouse and problems shutting down).

I use the HOSTS method as well. My HOSTS file is 3.6 MB. I only use it on Windows 98 SE, because, unfortunately, Windows 2000 and XP are known to have problems coping with large hosts files.

NOD32 isn't free is it?

I use Outpost Firewall and AVG Free Edition.

I've tried Kerio Personal Firewall 2.15 as well. Kerio uses fewer resources, but Outpost seems more user friendly. Sygate Personal Firewall caused bugs for me (stuttering mouse and problems shutting down).

I use the HOSTS method as well. My HOSTS file is 3.6 MB. I only use it on Windows 98 SE, because, unfortunately, Windows 2000 and XP are known to have problems coping with large hosts files.

NOD32 has a free beta out currently. :D

The beta of NOD32 is not free, and updates will no longer be released for it once the program is released.

I personally think that it's worth the money - you're paying for a quality product, unlike Norton... just my opinion. And resources are a big deal for me, hence the two least resource intensive apps that still cut it.

Whoops... I thought one thing, typed another...

The NOD32 2.5 Beta is free, but the full 2.5 release is due out in a few days... so you're not going to have very long to reap the benefits of the free-ness.

Sorry for the confusion.