disable wfp

zup peeps,

I created an unattended install which install without a glitch. unfortunately the only problem is this sfc junk!

I downloaded the sfc_os.dl_ file from the unattended guide renamed the extension to .dll and replaced the one already installed in the pc %systemdrive%\system32 and created the reg file to disable sfc. I did both steps in safe mode.

When I reboot windows gives and error that sfc_os.dll is not a valid windows image file! What the heck?!!??! Can I not use the *.dl_ file once windows has been installed? I have to create another CD and replace the dll (or use nlite!).

I've also tried doing the hexadecimal fixes but doesnt matter what free hex prog I use i cant find the 'offsets', I search for it and nothing happens or at least doesn't specifically tell me where the offset is.

I am using XP SP2. The version of the dll is 5.1.2600.2180.

Thkz for the help

ceez

:thumbup

If you want to use the file you already have, you need to expand it with the expand.exe command...I don't have the syntax handy but I think it's something like:

expand sfc.dl_

Pretty simple...that should produce another file, sfc.dll, at which point you could do what you were mentioning.

sfc.dl_ has been compressed to fit in with WinXP setup, so when you install WinXP it will transparently copy the file and then expand it for you...you can't just rename that file.

great, I just learned something new. Thkz for the info guys, I'll give it a try and report back

THKZ!!!

edit:

ARGH! unable to expand the file.... cmd says that expand is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. (do i have to d/l this expand command from somewhere?!?!?)

The expand command should work the following way:

expand c:\sfc_os.dl_ c:\WFP\ (the dl_ file is saved on C: )

It just doesnt wanna work!!!! why - oh - why?!?!?

I am following an example of how to use the expand command but for a different file:

Expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hall.dll

PROBLEM FIXED!!!!

The expand command is an executable found in the Windows CD under the I386 folder called expand.exe. I just copied it to C: and I was able to expand the files!

Thkz for the help

and hope this helps

1 more post.... :)

Which sfc file do I replace? Do I replace sfc.dll OR sfc_os.dll under system32?

Do I replace any other one's?

I have an sfc.dll & sfc_os.dll on C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

and 1 sfc_os.dll in C:\WINDOWS\system32\1031

thkz again for the help!

ceez

:thumbup