Which method to use?

Hello everyone,

I am currently using multiple RunOnceEx files to install my programs.

Since I also would like to use my UaDVD on other computers, I am now looking for a program that is more "customizable", so that I can give in computer/user-names without having to change the winnt.sif everytime.

I also need the ability to select the programs to be installed.

I am now doubting between WPI and WIHU. I would like some suggestions on which method to use, with pro's and cons.

The list of programs that are being installed:

Utilities:

- Adobe Reader 7

- Nero Burning ROM 6.6.0.12

- WinRAR 3.30

- Daemon Tools 3.47

Multimedia:

- WinAMP 5.08e

- The Codecs 2.8

- Tag & Rename 3.1.7

- Quicktime 6.5.1

- RealPlayer 10 Gold

Internet:

- MSN Messenger 7.0.0777

- Messenger Plus 3.52.130

- Sun Java JRE 5.0.2

- DC++ 0.674

- Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004

- FireFox 1.0.3

- Mozbackup 1.4

- Skype 1.2.0.48

System Utils:

- TweakUI Powertoy

- Everest Home Edition 1.51

- Hitman Pro 2.0.12

- .NET Framework 1.1 + SP1

- ZoneAlarm Security Suite

- TuneUp Utilities 2004

- TuneXP 1.5

- Diskeeper 9.0.524

Office:

- MS Office 2003 Professional

- MS Office 2003 Proofing Tools

- MS One Note 2003

- Office Servicepacks and updates

- Personal Folders Backup for Outlook

- Office Resource Kit

Thanks in advance.

If you have a server, there is more you can do.

Have each installation look up something unique on the server, and grab the necessary runonce file, users, or any other info you want them to get. If you are sticking with with the same programs; you could leave them on your dvd, but server would be better.

I'd recommend the MAC address. Have it look in a hidden share. You could even copy individual programs into each directory, and just do a copy over to the computer. To save space look for junction by sysinterals, which makes hard links of files (just be careful of a delete).

The best thing about all this is that you can write it in a cmd file if you want.

Then again, if you don't have a server, you could do pretty much the same thing just using the dvd drive as your "server". A server would be cooler though.

If you have a server, there is more you can do.

Have each installation look up something unique on the server, and grab the necessary runonce file, users, or any other info you want them to get.  If you are sticking with with the same programs; you could leave them on your dvd, but server would be better.

I'd recommend the MAC address.  Have it look in a hidden share.  You could even copy individual programs into each directory, and just do a copy over to the computer.  To save space look for junction by sysinterals, which makes hard links of files (just be careful of a delete).

The best thing about all this is that you can write it in a cmd file if you want.

Then again, if you don't have a server, you could do pretty much the same thing just using the dvd drive as your "server".  A server would be cooler though.

The thing is: I don't have a server.

And I will also use this for friends/family, so basically I just leave the "ProductKey", "Username", and "Computername" open in the winnt.sif (would that work?).

The queston still stands though:

Which method to use?

If I were you I would look into W.A.I.T. as well. I switched from WPI and I'm

much happier with the results. Also I use it like you say you're going to and

put the winnt.sif on a floppy. Then one cd and at post install choice of programs.

Of course all must have floppies........ Just another for you to choose from....

BD

If I were you I would look into W.A.I.T. as well. I switched from WPI and I'm much happier with the results. Also I use it like you say you're going to and put the winnt.sif on a floppy. Then one cd and at post install choice of programs.

Of course all must have floppies........ Just another for you to choose from....

BD

Eh... W.A.I.T? :blink:

Where can I find W.A.I.T?

And a floppy is not really an option, since I also use my DVD on laptops which don't have a floppy drive...