WinPE Build Problems

duomenox

Hi everyone,

I have a working copy of and eariler version of WinPE. I am trying to configure the new verions (I was told it is 1.5, it has the mountain and moon in the background). I used the same steps I used for the old Version, but I am not able to run ANY executables.

The "Retail" CD I got from MS works fine, but I followed all the directions in the readme, I read posts, I called my PSS tech and still can't figure this out.

After doing MKIMG and burning it to a CD, it boots with the new drivers just fine, but when I am in -minint mode I cannot run ANY Executables! Not even diskpart.

I am pulling my hair out. Has something changed between versions? The PSS guy walked me through the same steps I have been using and still nothing.

Any ideas would be appreciated, he is sending me a new PE CD, but I don't think that will help, if the CD was broken then I would not be able to use that CD to run diskpart... right?

Anyways, I thought I had a lot of experience with WinPE, but now I am thinking I might not have enough :)

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I have a working copy of and eariler version of WinPE. I am trying to configure the new verions (I was told it is 1.5, it has the mountain and moon in the background). I used the same steps I used for the old Version, but I am not able to run ANY executables.

The "Retail" CD I got from MS works fine, but I followed all the directions in the readme, I read posts, I called my PSS tech and still can't figure this out.

After doing MKIMG and burning it to a CD, it boots with the new drivers just fine, but when I am in -minint mode I cannot run ANY Executables! Not even diskpart.

I am pulling my hair out. Has something changed between versions? The PSS guy walked me through the same steps I have been using and still nothing.

Any ideas would be appreciated, he is sending me a new PE CD, but I don't think that will help, if the CD was broken then I would not be able to use that CD to run diskpart... right?

Anyways, I thought I had a lot of experience with WinPE, but now I am thinking I might not have enough :)

Thanks!

Note that every version of WinPE released through the OEM channel had the mountain and the moon background. The only releases that didn't were the ones that went to ISV's and earlier versions of WinPE for enterprise customers.

1.6 is the latest, and should be used if you are building from Server SP1, and can be used if you are building from XPSP2 (though can't do it's RAMDisk tricks then). 1.5 should be used if you are building from XPSP2 or the original release of Server 2003. What are you using as your source media for mkimg?

Usually when binaries won't run, there is a problem with the side-by-side assemblies in WinPE - most often caused by a mismatch of build tools to OS. But can be caused by other things...

@guy

i am using Bartpe.

what is really weird i can get mozilla embedded to work but not firefox{3 different versions of plugins}.

i don't get any build errors but 70% of plugins i have tried don't work. is this normal?

Unforrunetly we cannot use BartPE, our legal department has forbid it. GetWired was saying it was probebly because BartPE does not have any License defined for it's use which opens companies up to any legal battle...

Plus, we really don't want to make MS angry. We use their software for our offices and our clients and don't want to loose our OEM or Partner channels.

But BartPE is a great too for those who are not affiliated with a business!

Thanks for the suggestion.

This is going to sound rather lame, but did you edit your startnet.cmd file to remove the factory.exe -winpe? You said you were running in minint mode and I didn't know if you were talking about factory.exe -minint or if you were more along the lines of /minint from a RIS server. Let me know!

• 2 weeks later...

You can get into this state a few different ways, most of which involve the truncation of the %winpedir%\winsxs directory structure.

a. bad imaging software/command line (if you're using oscdimg use "-n")

b. bad cd burn software (NERO seems to work)

c. xcopying a running disk to the HD (ie -- boot to CD, xcopy contents of CD to HD) -- many files are in use in this state and any that are will be broken (diskpart, etc)

d. Make sure that if you're building your own images you match the tools to the build -- ie if you're building against xp gold (no SPs integrated) then you should use the 1.0 tools for best results.