Need to move local users from 2000 to 2003 server

I have a 2000 server, not in a domain, with approx. 1500 users in the local SAM. I have built a new server on 2003 and want to move all the users (with existing passwords and file/directory rights) from the old box to the new one. Whats the most painless procedure for doing this? Don't mind buying a tool if needed.

TIA

Let's hope that server dosn't crash, you'll have a problem then :(

In my opinion you should try to promote the server to a domain controller and then add another domain controller to the domain, when were talking about 1500 users redundancy is highly recommended, also helps taking a bit of the load off of the server.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to ask and run like I did but got pulled off onto another project and only just now am I getting back to this, of course, now that it needs to be completed yesterday :blushing:

The server is a stand-alone machine, hence not on a domain, facing the internet. Individual user accounts can hit the machine from the outside world, after logging in they get dropped in their specific directory (via an ASP script) where they can pick up files. There are no profiles as these users never log on locally.

USMT doesn't apply as it is only designed for migrating from 9x & ME to 200x. Here I am trying to go from 2000 to 2003 (different computer) and retain all users, passwords, and directory rights.

I would promote that Win2k box to a DC (AD) and then use ADMT to migrate to Win2k3 .. your users wouldn't see any difference coz they log on from outside, so that would be the painless thing to do ... however, before you do anything, make sure you test it in the test environment ...