Boot.ini

TheeBeets

Well after medling with trying to create my own boot screen i now get some startup error

boot.ini is invalid and then it loads from C:\Windows

I searched Google and stuck in my Xp Disc and used recovery console to fix it

but that hasnt worked I typed "FIXBOOT" and it said it wrote a new sector but when i restarted nothing had changed so yea can someone give me some clues?

yeah...the boot.ini is in the C:\ root directory and is something like this...this is from my Server Machine.....so maybe someone can post the XP boot.ini

[boot loader]

timeout=10

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003, Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

2Takeshi: I think you couldnt repair with bootcfg, it is only way to create/edit it.

2TheeBeets: boot.ini is in c: and is hidden file. If you dont have it, Windows will assume you have windows installed in c:\windows directory. It is for locating ntloader and nt os kernel. If you dont have it, create this file (boot.ini) and create text

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

[boot loader]

timeout=3

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

Personally I am adding lines /sos /noguiboot. For more information check www.sysinternals.com, it is probably best article about boot.ini.