Help with slipstreaming SP2.

I've downloaded the Network Installation for SP2. I attempt to slipstream it, but I get the following error message;

This Service Pack cannot be integrated into a destination that also has integrated Software Updates.

Consult the Service Pack documentation for more details about supported integration scenarios.

I seem to have to remove Service Pack 1a from my Windows XP disc, but how?

Can you please keep the answer as simple as possible, I'm new to all this and not very computer illiterate!

Welcome,

A good place to start may be

http://unattended.msfn.org

as it wil show pretty much all you need to know.

If your trying to slipstream SP2 into a Dell CD, you will need to make mods first. Can't remember but a search will get you the answers.

Otherwise you

Copy your XPSP1a cd to a folder called XP on your c:

then click start | run and type

"<FULLPath to SP2 file>" /integrate:c:\xp

and it will then slip it in as expected

And that's the start of a habit that can take over as you wish to get your UA CD just right.

Thanks. I'm about to start doing this..

QUOTE(sleepnmojo @ Nov 17 2004, 09:02 AM)

Check to see if they have any hotfixes on the cd. If they do, you need to take them out before doing the upgrade.

Look for a svcpack or hotfixes folder in the i386 folder. Just delete it. Should fix the problem.

I did this a while ago with a Dell OEM CD. Like sleepnmojo said, delete the hotfixes. There will also be a bunch of files in the I386 folder that need to be deleted - they all begin with either KB###### or Q###### (# indicating the wildcard is a number). You also have to clean up svcpack.inf to remove references to the hotfixes, and then makecab the cleaned svcpack.inf back to svcpack.in_. From my experience, SP2 won't update the files if svcpack.inf is expanded, but once it's cabbed, it will. There may also be some stuff in the $OEM$ file that needs cleaned.

I THINK this is what I did, I'm at work now and can't remember exactly...I can look when I get home.

Okay?