RIS RIPRep image problem

Hi all,

I'm running Windows 2003 server with RIS installed. I've loaded "Flat" CD images and was able to download them to my clients without any problems (XP and 2000).

However, I just tried for the first time to send a (XPpro configured) RIPRep image to the RIS server and then download and install it on a client and I experienced the following problems.

1) seemed to of lost some config settings (windows profile configs and Office profile configs)

2) had to re-enter product key (after client install)

3) Desktop settings for default user profile were different

Does anyone know if RIS is supposed to transfer these settings or is it just strictly OS and software apps with no config?

My only idea about what went wrong is either RIS doesn't support config settings or since I had WinXPSP2 Firewall turned on, it wasn't able to transfer all of the files and configs.

Any ideas? Also, is it even possible to load a RIPRep image to the server that will preserve Office profile settings (i.e. %username%, mail server name and "cached or non cached exchange mode")?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi,

A 1) running ripprep on a pc will clear all windows unique setting from that OS build (so so MS says). I find it much better to create a flat image using risetup.exe or copy the image to a new directory (my personnal prefference! before anybody says anything) and then amend image. ( adding drivers, installing apps, changing cmdlines.txt copying files to image)

A 2) you can add your Product id to your riprep image by putting it in your sif file located in the \\Server_name\REMINST\Setup\Applicable language\Images\Applicable image name\I386\Templates\Riprep.sif directory (along with other settings!)

A 3) not sure what the difference is to question 1.

Hopefully this will help. Not sure if you have used risetup.exe? Why not give it ago and see if it works for you! I find it helps me keep to a standard build for all the PC's and I know exactly what settings and config I'm going to get.

I find it takes about 5 mins longer a build (depends on network speed and usage) but you can use this time to do something else. (Drink coffee , chat with colleagues , pick your nose :blushing: , set another PC off building :P , even do another job if desperate :huh: )

Taggs

1) seemed to of lost some config settings (windows profile configs and Office profile configs)

2) had to re-enter product key (after client install)

3) Desktop settings for default user profile were different

Unlike with older Windows revisions, when WinXP SP2 is Sysprepped or Riprepped, the process overwrites the default user profile with the local admin profile. If you make all of your desktop changes as local admin before riprepping, it will copy your changes over to the default user automatically.

Taggs - thanks for your response! This makes more sense now...

Question - If I create a flat image using Risetup.exe (as I already have done with XP PRO sp2 and Win2Ksp4), how do I go about adding applications to this image? What about an MST that I inlcude in a command line to install Office 2003 with this flat XPpro image?

Also, you say " copy the image to a new directory (my personnal prefference! before anybody says anything) and then amend image. ( adding drivers, installing apps, changing cmdlines.txt copying files to image)" -

would you suggest using RISetup.exe to install another flat image of Windows XP pro sp2 and then add apps and drivers etc... instead of copying the directory because don't I need RIS to create these directories?

ASTRONOT - thanks for your response as well. I went and copied the user profile to the local administrator profile on the machine that I have the "master" image on. I then browsed to my RIS server via network places and fired off Riprep.exe. It tells me that 1) Multiple user profiles are detected (profiles include: Default User, Local Administrator and 2 Domain admins) - should I worry about this.

Then on the next screen it tells me to shut down xxx services.. Well from the list of all of the services they mentioned, I was able to shut down all but 2 (Remote Access Connections and Telephony). Any idea why or any ideas how to force them to stop?

Thanks to both of you for the kind help. Hoping to resolve a few more issues here before next week.

Chris

Question - If I create a flat image using Risetup.exe (as I already have done with XP PRO sp2 and Win2Ksp4), how do I go about adding applications to this image? What about an MST that I inlcude in a command line to install Office 2003 with this flat XPpro image?
http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/me...s/runonceex.htm

and

http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/ap...xp_advanced.htm

Skip to section 4 at the bottom if you have your mst file

These links should help you. You can either copy the app and install from the local HD or point to a network share and install from there. RIS works with the same principles as an unattended CD. If you are still struggling PM me and I'll see if I can help. :whistle:

would you suggest using RISetup.exe to install another flat image of Windows XP pro sp2 and then add apps and drivers etc... instead of copying the directory because don't I need RIS to create these directories?

No, RIS will let you add/amend/delete files in an image as you please.

I've created a flat XP2 sp2 image (using RIsetup.exe) and use this as a base. Move the image (ie whole directory structure) where it is safe. I copy the whole image to the RIS image location and amend as required. Don't forget to change the image name in your sif file otherwise it can become confusing.

I Hope this helps :D