Cancer research & computing

doc424

One in four of us will at some time suffer from cancer. The high mortality rate, the suffering experienced by patients from the side effects of existing treatments, and the high costs of treatment all contribute to making cancer a priority for drug research.

A new way to help http://www.grid.org/projects/cancer/

A landmark research project has begun that allows people to make a real difference in the fight against cancer.

The United Devices Cancer Research Project is asking you to volunteer your PC to help process molecular research being conducted by the Department of Chemistry at the University of Oxford in England and the National Foundation for Cancer Research. To participate, you simply download a very small, no cost, non-invasive software program that works like a screensaver: it runs when your computer isn't being used, and processes research until you need your machine. Your computer never leaves your desk, and the project never interrupts your usual PC use.

It's safe and easy

There is no cost to participate and no impact on your computer use. The project software cannot detect or transfer anything on your machine but project-specific information. It just allows your computer to screen molecules that may be developed into drugs to fight cancer. Each individual computer analyzes a few molecules and then sends the results back over the Internet for further research. This project is anticipated to be the largest computational chemistry project ever undertaken and represents a genuine hope to find a better way to fight cancer.

The computational power to perform research of this scale is only available through the generosity of individuals like you. http://www.grid.org/projects/cancer

http://www.find-a-drug.org.uk/

I crunch for Find-A-Drug :D

I'm part of the PC-Zone Crunchers (Team No. 2192), I've been going for a few months now, and I just love the feeling of knowing that my computer is doing something very much worthwhile rather than sitting idle overnight.

I know some of the guys on here crunch for SETI, while I have no problem with that whatsoever I find it weird how people can do something for a cause that for all we know may lead to nothing at all in the long run... or even worse... lead to a war between humans and aliens cementing our doom and eternal torture to our soon to be extra terrestrial leaders :P

Hehe, with Find-A-Drug however, you're giving your time (or rather your spare CPU cycles) to something that IS real, that IS known. My grandfather died from cancer last year and ever since discovering FAD soon afterwards I've stuck to it and I will continue to do so. This is DEFINITELY a very worthwhile cause and to everybody reading this, I feel there is no excuse at all why you shouldn't put the effort in as well. Download the software, sign up, join a team if you want (its kinda fun having that little competetive edge to see who can crunch the most, our team, the PCZone Crunchers are ranked 48th in the world with just 30 members) :D and do your bit!

most of the sharer's on the donkey network, including your's truly, are supporting the grid project. since the pc's are always on and a little bandwidth to a good good cause will cause no harm.

hope more join in.