Add/Remove Programs disappeared! and screen issue

teddy

I did some Recovery Console action on a comp that had a c0000218 Registry File Failure problem and it worked out well. At least, it got it to start up.

Now, the screen is stuck at 640x480 pixels and 4-bit when I start normally. And it won't let me change from that. When I start in Safe Mode, it's stuck at 640-480, and is stuck in 16-bit mode. Thoughts? Neither one lets me chagne to any other setting...

Also, the Add/Remove Programs thing is totally empty! Won't load up anything at all. Madness I tell you.

:angry:

Thanks for any help!

have you tried system restore?

At first it wouldn't show any possibly restore points. I think the Recovery COnsole stuff I did had hidden that. So I manually copied the Restore Data (system, security, default, sam, software) into the Windows Temp file, went into Recovery Console and copied them into the system32/config folder and things picked up great from there. Started up great and then ran a system. It's a thing of beauty when it all works right! THanks folks.

• 1 month later...

I've reloaded WinXP Pro 4x in the last 2 days.

I installed SP2 from a MS CD and had a problem with a prog. I went to "Add or Remove Programs" and found all the files, but there was a huge gap between a program beginning with "N" and the next program beginning with "P". I had to scroll down to the bottom of the window to see the next prog.

The problem doesn't exist under WinXP Pro SP1 or SP1a. It only occurs with the SP2 update. It doesn't make a difference which way SP2 is installed, loaded as an update, CD, or slipstream.