When Is Wpi Ran From Winnt?

im testing my uA cd. Ive seen it format the partition, install and then go thru the steps. Ive gone as far as the program asking me for the key (was a typo in mine) but up to this pnt WPI had not launched. When should I expect it?

Thanks!

Ok so is there anyway I can test my WPI installs w/o having to install the entire cd on a new virtual machine every time? I just wana check the apps one by one to makesure everything is ok.

Also I hear (from asta) that you can run WPI from runonce and you select your installs from the beggining instead of first logon. Can someone show me their runonce script then and how I would use it to do this. Just wana get this cd over with for now.

thanks!

This is the one you normally use=

REM Determine the WPI startup path.

REM if wpi should run off the cd the replace %~dp0 with %cdrom%.

set wpipath=%CDROM%

Open the cmd file with notepad and change to reflect this=

REM Determine the WPI startup path.

REM if wpi should run off the cd the replace %~dp0 with %cdrom%.

set wpipath=%~dp0

Save this one as something like wpi_hd.cmd

when wpi is on the hard drive you need to change the context slightly to get it to work properly.

Awwww crap I just reread your post and the only way to test these kinda things there are really no quick and easy way.

lol so only way is to keep reinstalling in the VM ah well, guess ill just leave it running and go for a run or play some games hah.

Ok im having a problem now tho.

So I made my CD ISO, mounted it on my PC in drive G:, I then turned on my VM, went to CD and "use physical drive G:". This boots the ISO and installs XP, then my WPI came up on first boot.

Now I selected all my apps to see which ones would fail, and which would succeed. Well All failed pretty much. None of them could find the files, all said

Windows cannot find "D:\Software\Adobe\Acrobat\..."

Well of course not, my apps are all on my ISO in the G: drive..., but my VM doesnt have a G: only a D: which is a DVD drive.

my WPI looks like this:

%cdrom%\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\7.0\acroread7sl.exe

so I understand why its screwing up, just dont know how to fix this.

Thanks!

Kel, thanks for the help but your talking to someone who has no clue how to do what your saying.

IN your one post your talking about WPI being on the HD. Its not. WPI is on the UA CD, and all my apps are on the uA cd as well.

As of right now, im testing my installs via the entire uA cd

- booting via the ISO

- installs windows silently

- launches WPI

now this takes about 50 mins to get to the WPI part, I wanted to know if i could just test my WPI (the installations w/o having to reinstall windows on the VM everytime). You said I couldnt so anyways Im having the problem above where the uA cd and WPI are looking in D: for %cdrom% when I use a virtual drive g:.

How do I fix this?

thanks!

Since it is just for testing make your cmd file like this=

@ECHO OFF

REM Force resolution to needed size for wpi interface.

start D:\WPI\common\VideoChanger.exe 1280x1024x32@85 -q

REM Hide this command window.

"D:\WPI\common\cmdow.exe" @ /hid

REM Font installation - the smooth and customizable way.

start /wait D:\WPI\common\fonts\fontinstaller.exe

REM Special registry tweak needed.

regedit /s "D:\WPI\common\wpi.reg"

REM Start WPI and wait for its end

start /wait D:\WPI\WPI.hta

REM Cleaning up the desktop.

del /s/q "%userprofile%\desktop\*.lnk"

exit

:end

which command file like that??

and do you understand that im still having problems with D:? The ISO is on G: on my virtual drive i dont have g: i have d: but nothing is in D:.

Do you understand?

Okay so now we need to find out how to make your virtual prog to recognize the other drive.

I test all of my st!t the old fashioned way. I have a crappy second pc that alway is running the crap I am working on so I have no ideah about virtual PC.

I am sorry.

Fixed the problem and fixed most of my apps that arnt working in WPI. Just a few more q's now to anyone who has the time. I appologize if some of there are repeats or newbie q's but ive done a search and I dont have the time to plow through 20 posts to find what im looking for:

1. With a few apps that are .msi I seem to get a Windows Installer window popup with info on MSI and possible switches. The installer stops until i press ok. Whats this about?

I have seen some MSI files ran from msi.exec /passive blah blah. Is there a reason when to use that over /QB and /QN??

2. For a few of my apps It is neccessary to copy stuff from my uA cd to a folder or copy the entire folder onto the new HD.

Examples are my ZoneAlarm config.xml file. I need this copies.

My Winamp Skins need copying

my SSH settings need copying over

What I am doing right now is this and its not working.

Copy /y "%cdrom%\Software\WinAVI_Video_Converter_6.3\VideoConverter.dll" "%systemdrive%\Program Files\WinAVI VideoConverter"

3. I often get Script errors to do with IE, it halts the installation. Anyway to prevent this?

Thats all for now thanks