Partitionning And Formatting Before Install

Hi all,

I've build a quite good w2K unattended CD, but there is still one thing I'd like to enhance :

It seems the setup program can only format the system destination partition... So If I'd like to use "Profilesdir=..." in winnt.sif to put "documents and settings" on another partition than the system partition, I have to format BEFORE launching my unattended setup...

(am I right :unsure: )

After a lot of google'ing and searches on the forum, I can't decide which technique I should use...

I've seen people advising to use winPE (or BartPE) + diskpart...

Others recommanding tools like partition magic...

And I'm wondering if I should format in FAT32 then convert to NTFS or if I can format directly in NTFS.

Could someone post some advices ?

Thanks !

Well, since nobody likes me :( ...

I've tried this :

1st boot with my BartPE CD and run DISKPART :

using this script :

select disk 0
clean
create partition primary size=6000
assign letter=c
active
create partition extended
create partition logical
assign letter=e

Then formatting in NTFS (only e:) :

format e: /fs:ntfs

Then reboot with my unattend W2K CD :

the setup starts and finds 2 partition : C: (not formatted) and D: ( :huh: ) (not e: ???)

Anyway that's what I needed :whistle:

So I tell setup to install on C: and format in NTFS...

And in my winnt.sif :

ProfilesDir="d:\Documents and Settings"

makes that document and settings is stored on the Pre-formatted D: drive !

I think all these steps could be usefull for a newbie like me...

Forgive me if it's not perfect ;)

After this, here is my question :

Why the drive letters are not the same ?

I think I've seen that it's impossible with BartPE to tell the CD is letter Z: (for example)... could someone confirm ?

Anyone having some hints / links to read about this ?

Thanks!

at barts PE site, he also exlpains how to make a multiboot CDrom... with diferent boot-img's (so if you could easely boot, in dos mode, with, PQ-PM ...

would save you a lot of probs, trying to get PE to work just for, running a partition manager, isn't that a waste of time? ...

PowerQuest Partition Magic, suports, Fat, Fat32, NTFS, and LFS2,

and is realy easy to boot, from, any writable medium, (hdisk, zipdrive, flopydisk, or ramdisk... )...

hi gloubs,

I'm new to unattended installs as well since I've been using Ghost to install my OS. I'm in the same dilemna as you are coz I store my Profiles directory onto the 2nd partition (D drive).

How do you use this BARTPE and DISKPART utility (in layman's term :no: ) ? This is my first attemp to use an attended install of XP, without using ghost.

B)

@-I-

isn't that a waste of time? ...

Hehe... right...

I'm going to have a look those multiboot CD's... and Partition Magic.

Thanks !

@HwagPo

I think -I- (not I :) ) is right : BartPE is quite "big" to do only a diskpart ...

But If you want to know more :

BartPE : try www.nu2.nu/pebuilder

DISKPART : "similar" to fdisk, included in XP : see XP help

Hope this will help...

Bye

After this, here is my question :

Why the drive letters are not the same ?

I think I've seen that it's impossible with BartPE to tell the CD is letter Z: (for example)... could someone confirm ?

Anyone having some hints / links to read about this ?

Thanks!

yeah, that doesn't work. The assigned 'E:\' was only assigned for BartPE. On any other OS/Setup/Whatever it's the next free letter and this is the D:\. (well, that's not exactly correct. If you have for example 2 harddisks, the primar partition of first hdd gets the C:\ and the primar partition of second hdd get's the D:\ (under the circumstance that it's formatted))

unfortunatly i have to say, that you could do your whole stuff without even using BartPE or any other extra PartitionTool. there is a dirty way to do this on setup. Let me explain! :D

starting point is one fully unpartitioned harddisk....

1. start the installation-process and wait until the screen comes where you can chose the destination-drive

2. because there is no partition on disk you now have to make at least one

3. just follow the instructions for making your 'C:\' and of course 'D:\'

problem is now, that 'D:\' has to be formatted for the profiles-dir. if not, an error would occur. what we can do about it?

4. now that both partitions are there, you just say, that you wanna install windows to drive 'D:\' (yeah, you read right)

now you have to chose the filesystem which is followed by formatting

5. shortly before the formatting ends you open your CD-Drive!!!

after formatting an error occurs that windows can't copy files (because the CD is missing :thumbup )

6. this is the time, to put the CD back into drive and the setup goes back to the stage of chosing the destination-drive

now you chose 'C:\' and 'D:\' is already formatted ;)

Oozaru

That's a tricky but effective workaround B)

Is it possible to boot from a floppy, partition and format say C & D (FAT32) in a batch file using gdisk, then call the xp unattended setup, then run a batch file somewhere in the setup process to convert D to NTFS?