First Unattended Install Fine, But Few Queries...

Hi guys. Wow, what a fantastic forum. Has opened my eyes to so many new things I want to try! Becomming obsessed with the perfect install and customized windows now!

Anyway, I have just performed my first unattended XPSP2 slipstreamed install. I have some basic experience with this sort of thing and have seen scripting in action, but am slightly out of my depth as I approach the later parts of the Intermediate section of the guide.

Well...with just following the guide and reading up on the net about it, within a few days I have just created a full working slipstreamed UA XPSP2 install, with all the latest hotfixes/updates and all seems fine except:

1: I now notice that where my original WinXP disc was 700 odd meg, my finished CD (well DVD it had to be!) ended up at 950 ish meg!! I do not understand why this is. I mean yes, I have added a lot of updates/fixes to svcpack and altered .inf files etc, but why has it gone up a few hundred meg? Obviously SP2 = 272meg, but I though intergrating this didnt actually add that amount? If so, then how does one get it on a CD? Its not a major problem, in that I will have to use DVD anyway eventually as want to put othe rthings on, but I should get into the habbit of good housekeeping and reducing file sizes where I can.

2: I got only one error during setup, that windows setup could not locate a file named oembios. It might have been oembios.bin, but I honestly cant remember. I think because I used a Hewlett Packard Xp disc for my XP files, it may have copied accross a bios file perhaps that specifically applies to HP machines? i dont know. I had to press to skip the file to continue. then all was fine.

3: Upon entering windows I cant seem to adjust refresh rate of my monitor. it is locked on default refresh rate for monitor. I did set this in the unattended setup to default to default monitor refresh rate, but I still want others available obviously.

4: I am unsure how to intergrate RAID drivers into my setup. i have read all the guides, but find it a little confusing. Do I need to edit that file in the guide with the excat text used or change it around.

5: I am finding it difficult to add drivers to the install. I am unsure how to package them up. When I browse the CD, its hard to see what files I need and what things it will need to use and what goes where. Can anyone help with how to package p the drivers.

6: Can I encoporate gpedit.msc edits into my install? Like for example turning off the desktop cleanup wizard etc. also with reg hacks etc, I know you can import these somewhere to the install, but how does one do this and how does one find out the reg changes they have made that they want to use?

7: Is directxC included with SP2? If so is that it and nothing else need doing?

8: I have read about customizing windows to use diferent themes and look exactly like how you want it to. How can one go as detailed as getting it to look and hold settings exactly. i.e. Display prefences and things like that (the really picky bits!) Is this all again just registry imports? How does one find out the registry info required to reflect such changes?

Apologies for long newb post. I would really like to learn more though and am eager to suss this all out. Many thanks for any help at all in advance. Much appreciated.

:yes:

1. see http://unattended.msfn.org/advanced/space_saving_tips.htm This will help you delete certain items etc.

2. Usually when you get cant find a file, the CD is bad. verify that the file exists on the cd and compare it to the one on the HD that you used to make the cd. I have had files that are the same size but not the same SHA1 hash. Check

3. The monitor shouldn't lock. but you can use tools like 1365VidChng.exe that can change the settings driectly from the command line. tool available at http://unattended.msfn.org/global/downloads.htm

4. integrating RAID drivers can alwasy be a little tricky. Try doing a simple CD with no extras following the guide at http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/raid.htm very carefully. also if you want look up driver packs in this forum and look at the directions on how to make your own.

5. Dont, just driver packs. If you are unconcerened about size you can fit all five sections of the driverpacks on a CD. Then use another for program installation, or fit it all on one DVD. Driver packs at http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=30190 Then go to the website to get. Directions are easy.

6. There are good lists in the unattened sticky section on this forum. http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=42066 this is a registry tweaks creation tool, and can be a good guide on how and where to start.

7. I dont think that c is included in SP2 I think that is is b, but i am not sure. If you are woried then just install it in your runonce commands. Just get the network install, unzip into its own directory and you should have 9 files. Then just running a dxsetup.exe /silent will install it.

8. Search in the forums. You will find lots of ways of doing it.

hope this helps.

Question 3

This Mean That Your Video Drivers Are

Not Installed. If Your Drivers Where

Installed Then It Should Change Screen Size

Example

I Run This from A Batch File At The 12 minute

Spot Of The Set Up If My Drivers Where Not

Install Then My Screen Would Not Adujust To this Size

ECHO ....2 Processing .

%R1%

start VidChng.exe 1024x768x32@85 -q

Question 5

Why Not Try Just Adding Basic Drivers Like

Video And Sound Only Then try adding More Later

When you have that perfected.

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

UnattendSwitch="Yes"

Repartition=No

Hibernation=No

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\002_graphics;Drivers\004_sound;Drivers\"

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

AutoActivate=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

1. see http://unattended.msfn.org/advanced/space_saving_tips.htm  This will help you delete certain items etc. 

2. Usually when you get cant find a file, the CD is bad.  verify that the file exists on the cd and compare it to the one on the HD that you used to make the cd.  I have had files that are the same size but not the same SHA1 hash.  Check

3. The monitor shouldn't lock.  but you can use tools like 1365VidChng.exe that can change the settings driectly from the command line.  tool available at http://unattended.msfn.org/global/downloads.htm

4. integrating RAID drivers can alwasy be a little tricky.  Try doing a simple CD with no extras following the guide at http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/drivers/raid.htm very carefully.  also if you want look up driver packs in this forum and look at the directions on how to make your own.

5. Dont, just driver packs.  If you are unconcerened about size you can fit all five sections of the driverpacks on a CD.  Then use another for program installation, or fit it all on one DVD.  Driver packs at http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=30190 Then go to the website to get.  Directions are easy.

6. There are good lists in the unattened sticky section on this forum.  http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=42066 this is a registry tweaks creation tool, and can be a good guide on how and where to start.

7. I dont think that c is included in SP2  I think that is is b, but i am not sure.  If you are woried then just install it in your runonce commands.  Just get the network install, unzip into its own directory and you should have 9 files.  Then just running a  dxsetup.exe /silent will install it.

8.  Search in the forums.  You will find lots of ways of doing it.

hope this helps.

Many thanks for your suggestions. I will try all of them with anticipation :thumbup

Can I just ask one thing.... these driver packs by bashrat the sneaky. I appreciate the massive effort he has gone to and do not want to in anyway sound unappreciative and arrogant, but what is the point in using his packs if he has not completed the chipset one yet? Surely this means that ALMOST everything is covered but then one still has to sort out the chipset drivers which are the most important and have to come first?

Like I say, just wondering what all you guys do about this.

Many thanks

Question 3

This Mean That Your Video Drivers Are

Not Installed. If Your Drivers Where

Installed Then It Should Change Screen Size

Example

I Run This from A Batch File At The 12 minute

Spot Of The Set Up If My Drivers Where Not

Install Then My Screen Would Not Adujust To this Size

ECHO ....2 Processing .

%R1%

start VidChng.exe 1024x768x32@85 -q

Question 5

Why Not Try Just Adding Basic Drivers Like

Video And Sound Only Then try adding More Later

When you have that perfected.

[unattended]    UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

UnattendSwitch="Yes"

Repartition=No

Hibernation=No

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\002_graphics;Drivers\004_sound;Drivers\"

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

AutoActivate=Yes

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not actually tried to do any drivers yet. Is there any difference between monitor,vga and graphics drivers or all the same thing?

Graphic Divers Would Be

Eg Nvida Whatever or Ati whatever

Montitor Would Be A Different Piece of Hardware

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not actually tried to do any drivers yet. Is there any difference between monitor,vga and graphics drivers or all the same thing?

MoreInfo

pleas help me for instal windows xp media center edition 2005 in unattended mode. :}

hi

i am a MCSE student.

problem 1 brief:

in unattend install windows xp media center 2005 CD2 not request. :}

problem 2 brief:

i use "NTUpgrade=NO"&"Win9xUpgrade=NO" in [unattended] Parameter,in unattend.txt.

but setup upgradeed old windows if 9x or XP. :}

problem 3 brief:

i set "AutoPartition=0" in [Data] parameter in unattend.txt .i run setup in unattend mode. :}

after one restart,"select partition for instal" window not viewed.and setup go to upgrade windows.

my setting in unattend.bat:

@rem SetupMgrTag
@echo off
rem
rem This is a SAMPLE batch script generated by Setup Manager.
rem If this script is moved from the location where it was generated, it may have to be modified.
rem
set AnswerFile=.\UNATTEND.TXT
set SetupFiles=L:\i386
L:\i386\winnt32 /s:%SetupFiles% /unattend:%AnswerFile% /copysource:lang /tempdrive:d:\

my setting in answer file :

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
   AutoPartition=0
   MsDosInitiated="0"
   UnattendedInstall="Yes"
[Unattended]
   UnattendMode=FullUnattended
   NTUpgrade=NO
   Win9xUpgrade=NO
   OemSkipEula=Yes
   OemPreinstall=Yes
   TargetPath=\WINDOWS
[GuiUnattended]
   AdminPassword=*
   EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
   OEMSkipRegional=1
   TimeZone=160
   OemSkipWelcome=1
[UserData]
   ProductKey=xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
   FullName="MySystem"
   OrgName="WorldSoftware"
   ComputerName=WorldSoftware
[Display]
   BitsPerPel=16
   Vrefresh=70
   XResolution=1024
   YResolution=768
[TapiLocation]
   CountryCode=98
   AreaCode=021
[RegionalSettings]
   LanguageGroup=13,11
   Language=00000429
[Identification]
   JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP
[Networking]
   InstallDefaultComponents=Yes
[Branding]
   BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes
[Proxy]
   Proxy_Enable=0
   Use_Same_Proxy=0

thankfully

kotlas_ehs@yahoo.com

hehe  :P

Chipset is coming tomorrow or the day after that ;) A little patience and your problem will be solved ;):D

WOW! Amazing. I hope I didnt sound too rude up above, you know what I meant? I will await the chipset one and then problem solved. This means that basically any system should be 100% in business using all of your driver packs in an unattended install. Amazing. Congrats

• 2 weeks later...

hi my friend.

thankyou for help me.

i am a mcse student.

i want setup winXP media center 2005 in unattend mode.

my problem is , in events setup (unattend) cd2 not request.

my friend sayed : ought edit "DOSNET.INF" in i386 directory.

i opened dosnet.inf and edited thats.

Edit description:

i edited all parameter "d2,d3,d4 to d1" (i think"d1=disk1")

before edit :
[Directories]
d1 = \I386
d2 = \cmpnents\tabletpc\I386
d3 = \cmpnents\mediactr\I386
d4 = \cmpnents\netfx\I386

after edited :
edited to ...

[Directories]
d1 = \I386
d1 = \cmpnents\tabletpc\I386
d1 = \cmpnents\mediactr\I386
d1 = \cmpnents\netfx\I386

before edit :
and edit all

d1,sonic.cat
d2,stikynot.exe
d3,plus.cab
d4,netfx.cab

after edited :
to ...

d1,sonic.cat
d1,stikynot.exe
d1,plus.cab
d1,netfx.cab

and in this time ,i by winISO software createed image from cd1.

i open image in winIso and transfered contents folder in CD2 (cmpnents) to cd root.

and i replace new dosnet.inf to i386 folder.

and i burning thats image to cd.

CD root: __\i386\files...
       |__\cmpnents\mediactr\i386\files...      
       |__\cmpnents\netfx\i386\files...
       |__\cmpnents\tabletpc\i386\files...
       |__setup.exe
       |__AUTORUN.INF

now i runed winnt32.exe /unattend:g:unattend.txt

setup started.

started copying file.

then setup display a "file copy error window". and searched for "inkball.exe"

and displayed this key:

"Retry" "Skip File" "Exit Setup"

this file exist in "cd\cmpnents\tabletpc\i386\inkball.ex_"

and setup not found that.

i understand setup is searching in "CD\i386\inkball.ex_"

now i Transferred all file in

CD root:|__\cmpnents\mediactr\i386\files...      
       |__\cmpnents\netfx\i386\files...
       |__\cmpnents\tabletpc\i386\files...

folders to cd\i386\...

CD root: __\i386\files...
       |__\cmpnents\mediactr\i386\empty
       |__\cmpnents\netfx\i386\empty
       |__\cmpnents\tabletpc\i386\empty

now run winnt32.exe /unattend:g:unattend.txt

setup started.

started copying file.

copying file complete.

but "mediactr.cab & plus.cab & sonic.cab &..." not copyed in $win_nt~is$ .

system restarted and goed to other stage.

setup completeed.

but mediacenter & other program not instaled.

i View "layout.inf"

whether this file not ought edited ?

please help me !!!.

kotlas_ehs@yahoo.com