Practical Applications For Dual Lan

I've got a Asus P5AD2 Premium with dual gigabit LAN and I am just trying to figure out if there are any good practical applications for a PC that is not connected to multiple networks.

The only application that I can really think of is to have one LAN for Internet access and one LAN for network access. Not even sure if this can be done.

Are there any other configurations that would work with dual LANs, like perhaps dual Internet access or maybe using that second LAN for something else altogether?

Just curious if I can use that second LAN for anything.

Its as you said....

one LAN for Internet access and one LAN for network access.
That's the best way to put it to use.

Whereas if you have one internet connection and two PCs, you'd have had to bother about network hubs and all.... In this case you can just run the cables directly.

Sorry I just don't see why "purchasing a second internet connection" would do much except make my high-speed bill double what it is now. If I wanted faster speeds I think I would just upgrade my cable service to get the higher bandwidth and only have to pay a few bucks more a month.

I guess it's really designed for computers on multiple networks.

You asked if there were any other applications for it's use. You are talking about a dual gigbit lan card, that is something it is for. If you had alot of users it might be beneficial. 2 $30 DSL connections might be worth it where cable isn't available even.

I would probably try to run CoLinux and use that card to setup a firewall. Basically connect to the Internet through Linux & use it's firewall for all data into Windows & your network. It might be fun to play with.