Mapping To An Ftp Server As A Drive

QKnet

I have read this instruction

here and tried it but failed.

at the Command Prompt, after i tried the command "net view \\ftpserver" it returns this "System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found".

I don't know where i was wrong. could it be when I enter the ipaddress of the site into the lmhosts.sam (i just added this 10.0.0.8 myftp #PRE to the end of that file).

I need your advice, pls.

On that link there are no commets as to annyone havinig success with this. I was unaware you could do this. But it would be nice if it worked. You can buy 3rd party software to do this, but we all know free is better.

***edit***

OK I have just done some testing. This setup is for WINDOWS FTP only. I have tested on a netware and unix box, then windows. You need to have a standard share (file and print sharing) for this to work. It does not map a ftp site to a drive but rather maps a standard share on a windows box that is shared as a ftp site.

hope that explains it....

hail hail

Have you tried to connect to it using the IP address??

Can you ping the IP address??

To test TCP/IP connectivity by using the net view command, open Command Prompt, and then type net view \\ComputerName. The net view command lists the file and print shares of a computer running Windows by establishing a temporary connection. If there are no file or print shares on the specified computer, the net view command displays a "There are no entries in the list" message.

If the net view command fails with a "System error 53 has occurred" message, verify that ComputerName is correct, that the computer running Windows is operational, and that all of the gateways (routers) between this computer and the computer running Windows are operational.

If the net view command fails with a "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied." message, verify that you are logged on using an account that has permission to view the shares on the remote computer.

To further troubleshoot this connectivity problem, do the following:

Use the ping command to ping ComputerName.

If the ping command fails with an "Unable to resolve target system name" message, then ComputerName cannot be resolved to its IP address.

Use the net view command and the IP address of the computer running Windows, as follows:

net view \\IPAddress

If the net view command succeeds, then ComputerName is being resolved to the wrong IP address.

If the net view command fails with a "System error 53 has occurred" message, the remote computer might not be running the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks service.

Lifted from here

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/us...PingConnect.asp

You would need a TCP/IP Suite to do what you want to a Unix/otheros FTP server. Something that would give you NFS support as well probably. Something like Esker Tun that I know of but I know nothing free. You can only connect to other FTPs by going through Internet Explorer and dealing with logons through there without third party software unless someone else is familiar with a workaround.

Quote from that link

"providing the machine runs both NetBEUI and TCP/IP"