Administrator Password

raza

Hi i want to know how can i disable or change the windows xp's built in administrator password if i accidently forget it?I have another account and i know its password which is also an administrator.

Logon as the second Administrator, right-click My Computer select Manage, click on the "+" of Local Users and Groups, click on Users, right-click the built-in Administrator account and select Reset Password.

Logon as the second Administrator, right-click My Computer select Manage, click on the "+" of Local Users and Groups, click on Users, right-click the built-in Administrator account and select Reset Password.

As was said here. For security reasons you should proably disable or rename your Administrator account and use the other one you have setup to do admin tasks. Another tip is to write your password down and store it in a sealed envelope and store it somewhere safe, that way if you ever forget it you can retreive it from the envelope.

You can disable but not delete the Administrator account.

If there is another admin account then you can reset the Admin password in Local Users and Groups, as pointed out above, or in: control userpasswords2.

If you're really stuck, there're at least 8 or 9 tools to reset the admin or any account passwords in XP.

The easiest to use commercial tool I've tested is ERD Commander's LockSmith tool.

For a free tool, then the Linux based Offline NT Password and Registry Editor comes to mind.

BTW, the hack the logon screen method, which is widely published on the net, does not work in XP. The command prompt does not have enough privilege to run the net command any more and displays a "system error 5, Access is denied".