Having Norton Install Problem

Abominable

Wheven I click 'options' on Norton i get this message "Norton Antivirus has encountered an enternal program error, please uninstall & re-install". So i do so and during the live update process of re-installing it this message comes up

"Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2

NAVNT 11.0.2

LiveUpdate was not able to complete this update.

Please contact Technical Support and provide all information displayed on this screen.

For contact information, go to Help->Technical Support from your Symantec product.

The files below could not be updated by LiveUpdate:

-----------------------------------

File: C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVOpts.dl^

820352 Bytes 8/30/2004 14:34:30 v11.0.2.4."

So now i cannot do a full live update, nor tweak any settings. Can anyplease help. Thanks

Norton is very difficult to uninstall properly but it is possible to do so. Also LU is prone to frequent errors.

If it gives an error number, then look it up on Symantec website.

Sometimes deleting or renaming all the files and folders used by LU in your user profile will at least temporarily solve the problem.

You could try uninstalling LiveUpdate and reinstalling LiveUpdate from a download. I don't believe when you remove Norton that LiveUpdate even changes at all.

The manual way involves some files under Documents & Settings/username/Local Settings/Application Data/Symantec and

Documents & Setting/All Users/Application Data/Symantec/LiveUpdate. Remove the apps through Add/Remove Programs and then delete these two location manually if they still exsist. As well as anything Symantec or Norton related under Program Files. That should work wonders. The most important parts of the manually uninstall. You could delete the entire Symantec tree under All Users if you remove both products (Anti-virus & LiveUpdate) and have nothing else from Symantec on your machine. There are reg keys also but you don't always have to play with those. Try that if you can't find the document from Symantec for the manual removal instructions.