Sort Quick Launch Icons

Does anybody know of a good way to sort the icons in the Quick Launch toolbar?

I read a while back a method that involved moving all the links out of the QuickLaunch folder and then adding them back 1 by 1 with a pause between the moves [to allow Windows to realize a change had been made].

I had that in my process when I was doing SP1 and I believe it was working. I have since moved onto SP2 and the process no longer works.

I have thought about trying to use AutoIt but I can't think of a good way to select the icon that needs to be moved.

Thanks in advance.

The only way you can accomplish this is by configuring your quick launch the way you want it on your pc, reboot, then grab the necessary reg entries. Finally, during your UA install import this reg tweak prior to runonceex.

search around.. its been cover a bunch of times.

Copy the shortcuts you want into your $oem$ folder, rename them with a number at the start of the short cut, i.e. "20 Show Desktop.lnk" lowest number goes first on your quick launch.

Chuck these commands somewhere (mine is in kTool.ini):

del /q "%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\*.*"

del /q "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\*.*"

copy c:\install\Applications\QuickLaunch\*.* "%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"

copy c:\install\Applications\QuickLaunch\*.* "%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"

%AllUsersProfile% is if you want it in all profiles (obviously :P).

I'm with you on this one durex. Started a thread myself a month or two ago on this very same topic, and shot that very same suggestion down for the very same reason. :lol:

Anyway, durex's suggested method is the one that I use. Once I had all of my apps setup to install, I ran the install on a test virtual machine. I the reordered the icons to my liking, set up the size of the QL bar, etc... and then exported the following reg entry:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop]
"TaskbarWinXP"=hex:<Value goes here>

It is very long, and will configure your taskbar the way I like instead of how you like, so I won't bother posting the entire hex value from my reg file. There should be plenty more information on this throughout the forum. Just try a simple search for something like "Quick Launch." Just be prepared to do a lot of reading. :P

Oh, one other thing that I do to set mine up. Once I had the QL bar configured just the way I wanted, I rar-ed up the QL folder into an SFX that gets extracted during the uA process so that I don't have to worry about moving/creating all my desired shortcuts.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everybody for your ideas. Unfortunately, in my environment those methods won't work very well. I have different QL icons appearing depending on what model hardware I am configuring.

I have done quite a bit of reading about the topic on here but haven't found a solution that works well for me yet. FYI.. I even asked Microsoft but they didn't have any good ideas either.

@Cartoonite - I will take a look at that registry entry and see if I can create a "master" reg entry that would handle all of my various configurations.

Oh well, I guess this step will remain a manual step in my process until I figure something out.

thanks.

• 8 months later...
Copy the shortcuts you want into your $oem$ folder, rename them with a number at the start of the short cut, i.e. "20 Show Desktop.lnk" lowest number goes first on your quick launch.

Chuck these commands somewhere (mine is in kTool.ini):

del /q "%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\*.*"

del /q "%AllUsersProfile%\Desktop\*.*"

copy c:\install\Applications\QuickLaunch\*.* "%UserProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"

copy c:\install\Applications\QuickLaunch\*.* "%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch"

%AllUsersProfile% is if you want it in all profiles (obviously :P).

Are you sure it will work to stick them into %allusersprofile%?

EDIT: No it will NOT work to create the QuickLaunch folder like described in the quote!

Edited by druiddk

• 3 years later...