Windows User Account Problem! Help!

sonu27

I don't know what happeded. My sister user account just got deleted, but when I try to add the same account there it say user account already there. It wasn't full deleted, it was hidden on the start menu. In documents and settings I found the account there and backed up all her files, then delted her whole folder. Then I open regedit, and seached for her name and deleted all instances of it. And it still says user account already exists.

I can log on to the account by pressing [Ctrl + Alt + Delete], and when I go to user accounts it kind of freezes, also it say that this is a guest account. This is proberly because I have deleted all the information about the account.

Can some help? Need to add the same user account again.

I am running WinXP Home SP2.

Thanks!

Edited by sonu27

If it's not showing in start > control panel > user accounts try this way..

Right click my computer > manage > local users & groups > users. See if you can delete the old account from there.

How are you trying to add the account? Using one of the many GUI-based methods, or from the command line? If you can't seem to find the account using any of the GUI-based tools, but you are still getting an error message when trying to recreate the account, I suggest trying the command line.

The following command should delete the account if it does indeed still exist:

net user <username> /delete

If that works you can then recreate the account using whatever method you are most comfortable with. Personally, since you would already be at the command line, I would recreate it from there using the following command:

net user <username> <password> /add

Since you have backed up all of her documents and everything, you should be able to just copy them back into the desired location and have her back to "normal" without too much trouble. :)