Installing Winxp Pro Sp2 On Asus A8v / Wd Raptor

HolgerDK

I'm trying to install (a danish) Windows XP Pro SP2 (Tried Win2k Pro SP4 as well - same result...) on a Western Digital 74 GB Raptor on my brand new A8V (updated the bios to 1009). So far without succes... (instead i got a lot of anger towards MS, Via and software in generel...)

I have tried the following:

1) Slipstreaming the (4.10a) driver for the onboard Via RAID controller into the WinXP install CD with the "old" method (that worked perfectly on my Abit AN7 with the same SATA drive on a SATA controller as the only harddrive in the computer...) - making a "$OEM$\$1\drivers" folder, editing "txtsetup.sif"and "winnt.sif". WinXP loads the driver upon boot from the installcd, recognices the Raptor disc, proceeds to copy all the install files (apparently including the driver) on to the drive, reboots and crashes with this error message: "***STOP: 0X0000007B (0XFAF47528,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000).". If i boot on a PATA drive i can see that the RAID drivers apparently has been copied on to the SATA drive in a folder called "Drivers" (and the "viamraid.sys" file is in the "winnt\system32\drivers" folder but not installed...

I added this to "txtsetup.sif":

[SourceDisksFiles]
viamraid.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249 = "VIA RAID"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149 = "VIA RAID"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164 = "VIA RAID"

[SCSI.load]
VIARAID_MULTIPLE_XP = viamraid.sys, 4

[scsi]
VIARAID_MULTIPLE_XP = "VIA RAID Controller(Windows XP)"

2) Using Driverpacks Massstorage 5.0.3 methods 1 and 2 - Doesn't work. Windows doesn't recognise the SATA drive when the install program looks for drives in the computer... But im not sure i did this the right way. When i unpacked the Massstorage driverpack it put the files in a folder called "DP, i then moved the extracted driver into the "Driverpack" folder that Driverpack base created (was this wrong)

3) Walking away from the computer to let my temper cool down - thrice... :realmad:

The hardware used in the computer is:

Athlon64 3200+ 90nm

Asus A8V Deluxe (non WiFi)

2*512 TwinMOS Twister PC3200 CL2

Club3D X800 Pro ViVo

Sony 19" E400P

74 GB WD Raptor

Plextor PX-712A

Antec TruePower 330W PSU

And this hardware runs fine - im writing this on the computer (with a PATA drive and running Win2k) im trying to install WinXP on

Im on the brink of selfdestruction with anger/frustration... - can someone please tell me what im doing wrong before that happens?

rant==on;

Why the hell can't MS write a f***ing barebone SATA driver that windows can use... - that would make this SO much easier. Its not like SATA drives were introduced to the market 2 months ago - but 2 years ago :realmad:

rant==off;

Let me just ask the simple question first. Have you tried using F6 when you start the setup and see if you can make it load windows by using a floppy with the drivers on them? Microsoft put that option there for a reason its probly wise to start there and see if it is a driver issue or something else causing problems.

Let me just ask the simple question first. Have you tried using F6 when you start the setup and see if you can make it load windows by using a floppy with the drivers on them? Microsoft put that option there for a reason its probly wise to start there and see if it is a driver issue or something else causing problems.

Yep - multiple times, and every time did windows tell me that the driver files couldn't be copied - i know the floppy drive works and i tried multiple working floppydiscs - same s***, different disc...

And when i use install cd with the drivers slipstreaming into it and the floppy to see if it makes a difference, the install program asks me which drivers to load from the floppy and still it manages to NOT see the Raptor drive when the install proces reaches the choose-which-disc-to-install-to-point (or should i write - choose-which-drive-to-ignore...).

Normally i'm a positive person with quite a lot of patience, but this s*** really gets on my nerve...

I have the same motherboard & mine worked ok when installing windows to a 2nd drive (IDE) it recognised sata drive. May be if you install driver packs folowing the instructions it should work foy you.

Chears Colin

EDIT: Iused method 2.

Add the Via drivers to the $OEM$\$1\DP\M\V\eide folder

(viapdsk.cat / viapdsk.sys / viapide.inf)

and in $OEM$\$1\DP\M\V\raid

(viamraid.cat / viamraid.sys / viamraid.inf)

Make sure the WINNT.SIF points to these folders

Cab the viapdsk.sys and viamraid.sys and copy them into the i386 folder

and then add these lines to TXTSETUP.SIF:

[sourceDisksFiles]

viapdsk.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

viamraid.sys = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_4149 = "viapdsk"

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149 = "viamraid"

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149&SUBSYS_80ED1043&REV_80 = "viamraid"

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149&SUBSYS_80ED1043 = "viamraid"

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149&CC_010400 = "viamraid"

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149&CC_0104 = "viamraid"

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3164 = "viamraid"

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3249 = "viamraid"

[sCSI.Load]

viapdsk = viapdsk.sys,4

viamraid = viamraid.sys,4

[sCSI]

viapdsk = "VIA ATA/ATAPI Host Controller"

viamraid = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller"

I have the same motherboard (Asus A8V Deluxe) and this works perfect for me. :thumbup

• 3 weeks later...

i think th idstring:

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149&CC_010400 = "viamraid"
PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149&CC_0104 = "viamraid"

is usefulless, with CC_0104... it become a compatible ID . and have a lower order

of suitability to

and have a same suitability Range with

Identifiers for PCI Devices

The device ID of a PCI device has the form

PCI\VEN_v(4)&DEV_d(4)&SUBSYS_s(4)n(4)&REV_r(2)

In addition to the two hardware IDs, the PCI bus driver also generates between eight and ten compatible IDs, depending on whether the system identifier is zero or not. If there is no subsystem ID or subsystem vendor ID, then the two hardware IDs indicated above collapse into the format of the first two compatible IDs in the list below, and in that case, these two IDs cease to be compatible IDs and become hardware IDs:

PCI\VEN_v(4)&DEV_d(4)&REV_r(2)&CC_c(2)s(2)

PCI\VEN_v(4)&DEV_d(4)&CC_c(2)s(2)p(2)

PCI\VEN_v(4)&DEV_d(4)&CC_c(2)s(2)

PCI\VEN_v(4)&CC_c(2)s(2)p(2)

PCI\VEN_v(4)&CC_c(2)s(2)

PCI\VEN_v(4)

PCI\CC_c(2)s(2)p(2)

PCI\CC_c(2)s(2)

In the above list, c(2) represents the base class code from the configuration space, s(2) is the subclass code, and p(2) is the programming interface. Thus, any of the following compatible IDs for the display adapter in the previous example would have matched the information in an INF file for that adapter:

PCI\VEN_102C&DEV_00E0&REV_04

PCI\VEN_102C&DEV_00E0

PCI\VEN_102C&DEV_00E0&REV_04&CC_0300

PCI\VEN_102C&DEV_00E0&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_102C&DEV_00E0&CC_0300

PCI\VEN_102C&CC_030000

PCI\VEN_102C&CC_0300

PCI\VEN_102C

PCI\CC_030000

PCI\CC_0300

PCI\VEN_v(4)&DEV_d(4)&REV_r(2) (compatible ID only if there is system ID, otherwise a hardware ID)

PCI\VEN_v(4)&DEV_d(4) (compatible ID only if there is system ID, otherwise a hardware ID)

_____________________________@