[Help] Temporary Files

cy.

Hello, everyone

I was wondering if there is a way to delete temporary files (windows temp + IE temp) on shutdown

temporary files take quite a bit of space and i don't really want to delete them manually everytime i run out of space.. it'd be quite handy if there's way to delete them automatically upon shutdown.

It may be possible through registry editing but I don't know where to look into.

thanks in advance

To clean out the Windows Temp files on startup, you can download a small app called CleanIt. On its first run, it will ask you for your startup directory. Then, every time you start the computer, it will delete everything in the temp directory for you.

As for temporary internet files, I could have sworn that IE has a setting buried somewhere that deletes the files on program close. Don't quote me on that though.

Hope this helps!

Easier to do it at startup rather than shutdown.

You can use a cleaning program most of which have the ability to be run at startup. Or you can use a batch file that runs at startup.

You may find this list of cleaning programs useful. I cannot tell you that all of them have the option to run and clean at startup but I know some of them do.

CCleaner (my favorite)

HDCleaner (somewhat difficult GUI but very complete)

DustBuster XP (fully automatic for XP only)

BeClean (it has been reported that BeClean can "hose" Win XP installations so use with caution if you have Win XP)

CleanUp!

Disk Cleaner (simplistic interface yet has the info needed)

Empty Temp Folders

CleanCache

Free Internet Eraser (I don't like this one much but it works)

CM Disk Cleaner (not free)

Fast Cleaner (shareware)

A List of Safe To Delete File Types (keep CAB files as they are needed to fix program problems)

Without using third party software, you can do it each time you shut down Internet Explorer.

Start => Control Panel => Internet Options | Advanced <tab> | Security <section> | Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed

why not flush all?

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Recent\*.*" /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Cookies\*.*" /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\History\*.*" /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp\*.*" /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*" /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\WINDOWS\Temp\*.*" /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\*.*" /F /S /Q

• 10 months later...
why not flush all?

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Recent\*.*" /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Cookies\*.*" /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\History\*.*" /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp\*.*" /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\*.*" /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\WINDOWS\Temp\*.*" /F /S /Q

DEL "C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\*.*" /F /S /Q

I like this method, but don't know how to achieve it.

Not all files are 'delete'able. Especially ONE file is 'blocked' because it is 'in use': index.dat. This is the so called 'Temporary Internet Files index-file'. Normally this file CANNOT be deleted from within the Windows environment.

I want to delete any file(s) and/or directory(s) by means of a BATCH file at OS start up, before Windows XP start.

In OS Dos/Windows98 I 'programmed' it in AUTOEXEC.BAT or by a CALL to another batch file. THis was very conveniant.

Problem is: how to intercept the Windows XP startup sequence at the right moment, to insert a batch file that does the job.

Can anybody describe the Windows startup sequence? Can it be interrupted?

Rudolf.

Add a startup script using group policy editor locally. I do this with my build using an AutoIT script.

Jim

Hi Jim, somewhere in this forum I saw this:

Run Group Policy (Run GPEdit.MSC).

Go to Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Scripts (Startup/Shutdown) and double-click on Startup.

Click on the button Show Files... and in the new opened window create new a batch file.

Edit the file and put in it the following line:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Blah.Exe

Save & close the file, close it's folder window, and in the Start Properties dialog click Add... and put there the name of the batch file you just created (no path needed). Now close this dialog also.

Still in Group Policy, go to Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Scripts and on the right pane, change the value of Run startup scripts simultaneously to Enabled (This will make sure the logon process will continue even though the script has not ended).

Is this what you mean? Does this story need a little improvement?

I could try it, but first I have some reading to do...

Rudolf.

Go to Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Scripts (Startup/Shutdown) and double-click on Startup.

Click on the button Show Files... and in the new opened window create new a batch file.

Save & close the file, close it's folder window, and in the Start Properties dialog click Add... and put there the name of the batch file you just created (no path needed). Now close this dialog also.

Yes it is.
Still in Group Policy, go to Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Scripts and on the right pane, change the value of Run startup scripts simultaneously to Enabled (This will make sure the logon process will continue even though the script has not ended).

Rudolf.

Dont really need to do the 2nd part.

Yes it is.

Rudolf.

Dont really need to do the 2nd part.

Thank you jondercik!

I succeeded in creating this and I got what I was looking for.

At the Desktop boot or restart the complete map "...\...\content.ie5" is deleted.

I also did part 2, hoping to achieve that the deletion is finished first, before firing up Windows.

Have a nice day.

Rudolf.