Sparkle 6600 128mb Vs Sparkle 6600 256mb

Freakboy

I'm going to buy a new graphics card for my dad,and one question i have is what is the difference between the speeds on the 2 cards. The 128mb cards is clocked as 300/550mhz while the 256 is at 300/500.

Is the 256 card going to be very slower,or is there not going to be such a big difference?I read on some forums that the 256 models of cards is usally slower because of tghe memmory controller being the same as the 128 models?

Can anybody please help me on this?

I read on some forums that the 256 models of cards is usally slower because of tghe memmory controller being the same as the 128 models?

I've honestly never heard that before. Ultimately, if you were to benchmark the 2 cards on the same hardware, it would end up being a wash. The faster clock speeds on the 128MB should be pretty much balanced out by the increased amount of ram on the 256. If anything, the 256MB should perform better because it has more RAM.

If you're going for pure speed, then obviously the one with the faster clock speed will be faster, however faster doesn't always mean better, especially if it's just 50MHz. That's why I think the "slower" 256 will keep up, if not surpass, the 128

LOL,

Okay, listen; do you know why the put slower RAM on a 256MB card? It’s to keep the price down.

To tell you the truth, it’s just a hyped marketing trick to get those cards sold. The 128MB card will perform better in most cases then the 256MB version with slower clock speeds.

If you over clock them you will get about 800MHz out of the 128MB version and 700-733 out of the 256MB version.

So, please don’t throw away your money and get a 128MB version. Tip: Also look at the 6600GT, that one is almost as fast as the 6800, although I have 6800 cards too and enabled all pipelines with Riva tuner... check it out! ;)