Microsoft To Ban Freeware?

Zxian

Hey everyone,

Has anyone heard of any news (apparently a year old) regarding a patch that Microsoft has or will release where it will prevent freeware from running?

Apparently, software developers will have to include a portion of code to "allow" their programs to be run on XP. Any programs that don't have this code won't run at all.

I personally think that this is a very stange idea... but it was brought up to me by a member of another forum... here is a link to the thread where this was brought up. Link

Any leads?

Thanks.

If you are referring to DEP (data execution prevention), then this has nothing to do with freeware, and everything to do with preventing the proliferation of viruses.

From what I've read, it removes the ability to allow bits of code to be executed while in memory, bypassing some safety measures...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

No, that's not what he meant.

Take a quick read through the thread. He was having problems with his Omniquad Firewall after he applied a MS Update. When he uninstalled the update, all was well again. He said that the update was meant to stop firewalls and programs from working unless they had been "approved" by Microsoft.

wouldnt that be anti-competitive and illegal?

[edit] ok i visisted that link, the person uses AOL and XP Home...

That should say something about the person.

Im not going to read the whole thread, but compatibility with the SP2 Firewall and SP2 Security Center was a known problem for some 3rd party software, but most vendors had this fixed immediately. Im guessing we're looking at the typical AOL users here.

This just seems to be anti microsoft rumors and FUD. We need a link to a statement from MS or some trusty authority.

He said that the update was meant to stop firewalls and programs from working unless they had been "approved" by Microsoft.

The confusion lays in the fact that the user approves what is allowed through the Windows Firewall. The user has full control, not Microsoft.

Weird Al Yankovic's, "It's All About the Pentiums"

"Hey, fella. I bet you're still livin' in your parents' cellar

downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar

and posting 'Me too!' like some brain-dead aoler.

I should do the world a favor and cap you like Ol' Yeller.

You're just about as useless as jpegs to Helen Keller."

Microsoft has plenty freeware apps, too? Will those be banned as well? ;)

That guy at the original post has a problem with his PC, and he's a whiner. And now he's trying to blame Microsoft. What an id***.

EDIT: One more thing. He's an AOL user. Poor chap. :D

EDIT2: Great quote from Weird Al you got there Digirati. :thumbup