Gearing Up For Reinstall

Hi all, thanks for the SP.

I'm going to reinstall windows for the first time in 4 years, its been on 3 HDs and 4 mobos, so its about time.

Right I have the SP, DX9c, all the latest drivers on PCformat DVD, I've found IE6 on evolt.org and know about ie6setup switches(but don't know if it resumes OK). I'm open to suggestions on a better source?

Ok my 1st question, the only device I dont have a driver for is my modem. Under device manager I have HCFMODEM > Conexant PCI modem enumerator" and "Modem > Conexant HCF 56k speakerphone PCI modem #3" and obiously can see a list of file in driver properties. I also have "wave device for voice modem" which it says isnt installed.

I came across a programme called "MyDrivers 3.11" which turned out to be shareware, which lists the same 3 drivers and allows me save each to folder, cab or installable exe. Can I trust it? Does anyone know a freeware piece? Does it matter which order I reinstall them?

2) If I install win98, drivers, IE, DX and SP (There seems to be some debate over order, but this seems most intuitive to me?) What is left for Windows update, just newer stuff?

Thanks for you help and reassurance.

Hi, thanks for your input. I'm going to trust what mydrivers has done, after learning more about inf files etc, it seems to know what its doing. My modem is a rockwell P85 HCF or 1035, I have found parts of the driver, but not a full pack. The generic drivers probably will be OK thinking about it, as I did once get it working under linux.

I'm just about ready to install now. The only thing is my win98 folder, is there an sfv or something to check it for corruption as I dont have a CD anymore.