1. Give your server a static IP address:

2. Enter Domain Name in the My Computer properties:

Restart

3. Add DNS Windows component:

4. Run DNS from the start menu, and configure the DNS server:

5. Add IP address of your DNS server to the IP settings of your network card:

6. Run dcpromo:

Restart

control panel | admin tools | manager your server | add new crap | activedirectory & DNS :P

:blink: I hope this is just a joke :D

anyway ... to install AD run dcpromo, and follow instructions ... no need to install DNS or anything else ... dc promo will do all the work ... the only thing you should do is assign static IP address to your server

Yes, dcpromo will install DNS, but it's not the same as configuring it manually. At the very least, it doesn't create a Reverse Lookup Zone.

you're right, it's not the same, it's much better when dcpromo do the DNS installation ... and beside that, Reverse Lookup zone is not neccesary at all, but if you want it, it takes no time to set it up ...

Just how can it be any better if you set it up properly manually?? It would be easier and faster maybe, but certainly not better.

Setting things up manually, you get a better idea of what is going on with your server/network.

Just how can it be any better if you set it up properly manually?? It would be easier and faster maybe, but certainly not better.

Setting things up manually, you get a better idea of what is going on with your server/network.

dude have you ever heard of "... least administrative effort" ... well if not, look up for that term ... anyway, from my experience with AD (I can easily say impressive experience) seting up a DNS server on your own before seting up a AD can just lead you into a bunch of problems. Beside that, "Setting things up manually, you get a better idea of what is going on with your server/network" means really nothing when it comes to Ad installation, it's not a surgery, but a system that can be installed ONLY one way ... to install DNS you can use, imagine, ONLY one routine, not 2, just one, so better idea of what is going on with your server when installing DNS is sorry to say, but funny statement ... if it is to be done "your" way, dcrpmo wouldn't even try to install it, not just that, but Microsoft would reccommend installing DNS prior to running dcpromo which is not the case ... anyway to end meaningless discussion, you keep installing DNS manually, I will using dcpromo, and evebody is happy :)

When you learn how to install DNS manually without having a whole bunch of problems with AD afterwards, then you will have the right to question my competency.

:thumbdown well maybe you should take your sick ego a bit down ... when you lears basics of a culture then you can talk to me, until then, take that competence of your and stick it right up your arse ... you might just feel better