Changing Corp Into Normal Pro

Gideon007

that is something they might actually like to talk about at microsoft

they might also want to know where you got the pirate version

but I do suspect they'd help with changing over.

go ahead and call, tell them you are reformed

Put in ur legit copy cd and boot up with that cd, then select 'REPAIR' to reinstall the windows, it will ask for legit key and allow u to update. however this trick do work for windows with sp1, donno whether it works with sp2.

Regards,

Kenneth

Boot from your legit copy of XP.

Select the 2nd Repair option after selecting Install.

This will preform an Upgrade in Place.

After hardware discovery you will be prompted for your legit product key, enter it and continue with the repair install.

Your user settings will be the same and your data and installed programs will be untouched.

Reapply all Hot Fixes and SP2.

I think that if you sysprep your current installation the next time you boot it will ask for your key and a couple of other thingies (15 min wasted tops), no need to repair, reinstall..whatever.

Thats what i did in Win2k anyway...not sure if it works in Winxp.

Be careful testing it.

Boot from your legit copy of XP.

Select the 2nd Repair option after selecting Install.

This will preform an Upgrade in Place.

After hardware discovery you will be prompted for your legit product key, enter it and continue with the repair install.

Your user settings will be the same and your data and installed programs will be untouched.

Reapply all Hot Fixes and SP2.

this will only work if his pirated key is not Corp or Vlk it is is a Corp key

then it wont ask u for the serial ever again.

Hell0,

1st u didnt tell us what sp u have at the time beein and 2nd what sp this legal copy has.

Suppose u have sp2 in both of them.

U need a 3rd party utility to discover ur serial number and replace it with the new one.

Do a google search like "XP Pro Corp key changer"

This can only be done if the current legal copy is the same with the pirate u have,esp with sp, without bootin with cd or reinstallation of xp.

I did have installed a XP Corporate SP2, up to date with current Windows Update, and wanted to change this into my Windows XP SP2 Professional, that I recently bought.

Ok, what worked and what not worked:

-changing the key with a keychanger did NOT work, the new key did not take, but that is because Corp has some files different (hence those early cracks for XP that changed pro to corp)

- Updating from within XP did not work, as the legit refused to install on that system.

- Marsden's way DID work. The repair stumbled over my keyboard-usb drivers and I had to connect it to PS2. Then I had to activate by phone, as it wouldn't let me log on but my firewall (Outpost) was already active and prevented XP from calling home. Now I only need to hack uxtheme.dll again, visit windows update and do some other cosmetics but I got a legit XP. Thanks for the help and I hope this might be helpful to others that will try this.

IF anyone insists I could even compare the files and find out which ones were different.

Additional problems that came up afterwards:

Crashes due to a mixmatch of the prior installed new ATI-drivers and the old ATI-Drivers that came with XP.

Mostly all USB-drivers made problems and had to be deinstalled/reinstalled.

Intel-chipset drivers and application accelearator had to be reinstalled.