BlackICE Defender?

PriZm77

The security sucks....Go to a few websites and do a full port scan, You' ll see what everyone means by IT SUCKS! [/quote:8f8a38b5f9] I dunno if it's all THAT bad... but I understand the difference, with Black Ice being an intrusion [i:8f8a38b5f9]detection[/i:8f8a38b5f9] system rather than a "real" firewall. I've tried different versions of ZA in the past, but each time had some problems with stability and ended up going back to Black Ice (behind my NAT router/filter, a Netgear RT311). I had the XP firewall (ICF) running for a few days and was going to leave Black Ice off my desktop PC machine (which is my Guinea pig for XP)... but the NetBEUI implementation in XP is so slow that I had to use TCP/IP for file and print sharing on my LAN to get the performance I had before "upgrading" from Win2K. I might revisit ICF when I get time... to see if you can open it up to "trust" a range of local, private IPs on the LAN. I might even give ZA another chance, but for now Black Ice is back on this machine, since it provides for TCP/IP LAN operation.

Dan

I downloaded the latest version of Zone Alarm today, and installed it (after removing Black Ice 2.9cai, which was working well under XP Pro). I had no particular beef with Black Ice, but recognized its limitations. ZA was easy to configure, allowing local LAN access for file and printer sharing while maintaining security to the internet. ZA is a "backup" of sorts, since it sits behind a Netgear RT311 NAT router with good strong filters. I was already completely "stealthed" by the router before installing ZA... but it does provide protection against trojans and such, too. This load of ZA seems to be much more stable than the earlier versions I tried... I might just be a convert. :)

Dan

with Black Ice being an intrusion [i:1ab7eea427]detection[/i:1ab7eea427] system rather than a "real" firewall. [/quote:1ab7eea427]

yeah and it doesent always do that im afraid, ive got into boxes running it before in my naughty days, but im a good boy now :)

it also wont stop stuff from going [b:1ab7eea427]OUT[/b:1ab7eea427] of your comp... such as a trojan like evilbot (IRC drone that sends pings to an ip number set by the trojans owner in the IRC room, it can also be used to upload other files and bigger trojans etc)

i think ALL firewalls can be defeated with ACK tunneling too.. well all software ones not sure about hardware.

Given that ZA appears to be behaving itself under XP Pro, I can't see any particular reason I'd want anything else. I took a look at ZA Pro, but I'm not sure it would do anything for me that the "free" version doesn't... except separate me from about $40 :)

Dan