Driver update during Unattended XP Upgrade

ycam

Hi All,

my question is regarding the upgrade to xp pro from win2k pro. This upgrade will be deployed over the network. I am still in the testing phase. I have created the answer file and am running the upgrade on test machines. My question is this that when i run upgrade NIC for win2K doesnt upgrade automatically for xp, which is really important as i want my upgrade to be totally automatic and zero physical interaction with the machine. Here is what i do please let me know if i am missing something important.....

I created the distribution folder and then created C:\windist\I386\$oem$\$1\Drivers and in Drivers folder i have created two folders named network and video. Then I copied all the files for the specific NIC driver files in network folder and VGA driver files in video folder. I copied these files from windows resource CD.

In my answer file unattended section is as follow

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

NtUpgrade=Yes

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=Yes

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\network; Drivers\video"

TargetPath=*

Upgrade runs fine but am unable to get auto upgrade of both the VGA and NIC. Any help in this will be really appreciated.

thanks

Y

Thanks for your reply,

Doing a clean installation isnt feasiable for us. We have to deploy the corporate upgrade. We have offices in differnt states and we want to minimize the IT physical interaction with the end users machine.

I have also posted one posting in Unattended XP install, that is regarding novell client, i am assuming that this driver update and novell client breaking is related to each other is some way.

Thanks for your reply,

Doing a clean installation isnt feasiable for us. We have to deploy the corporate upgrade. We have offices in differnt states and we want to minimize the IT physical interaction with the end users machine.

I have also posted one posting in Unattended XP install, that is regarding novell client, i am assuming that this driver update and novell client breaking is related to each other is some way.

I really think that would be easier.

How are documents saved of the employees? On a share or on their hdd's?

On their HDDs, but we also have a shared directory on the server for every employ. I can consider this option but if i can get everything auto unattended, i am still in the testing phase and am open for diffrent options.

here is the problem we have standard dell systems but we dont have identical hardware it varies to good extent.

Well let me tell you what i did upto this point i have tested most of our applications run fine when i upgrade to xp pro sp2. Only main problem i get is with novell client. And that is my very main concern coz once i am able to upgrade and get into the system with bovell client i can think abt running diffrent patches with zenworks.

I want to go all the way to end with this upgrade and if i see it is not worth it then i will consider the option of moving the data to network and doing clean installation. Clean installation is the best option but it will be too hard to manage as our employes are spread and we deal with remote users alot, thats why unattended auto installation is the best option we have rightnow.

Can you please take a look at my answer file and then suggest me abt the drivers update, coz once i can verify that drivers are updated and i still have novell client breaking problem.......... this will atleast put me in one direction and anyways i have to do the drivers update for diffrent systems.

thanks,

Y