very slow install

I made a quite modest CD (with SP2, hotfixes, Office XP, few drivers) and i burned it on a CD-RW to test it.

But the process lasts an unreasonnable time (started yesterday at 9.00 AM and isn't done yet). So more than 28 hours.

Is it dued to the CD-RW ?

Pliz help ...

Thx

Tybos

I use my burner (Yamaha F1) which is my best CD drive too.

I really wonder why it is so slow.

The initial formatting was very slow too, does the computer need reading from CD to format a partition ??

I'll wait until the end of the install but at this speed, it will end tomorrow eve ...

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I have this problem too... I don't do a lot of changes I just change the boot screen in winntbbu.dll. The partition and copying files is ok, but after the reboot the installation is VERY slow. It shows that "39 minutes remainig"... 20! minutes after it shows "37 minutes remaining". So it VERY VERY slow!! I use the test vmware workstation....

Can anyone help me??? What can be the problem??

And here is my winnt.sif:

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

OemPreinstall=Yes

UnattendSwitch="yes"

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

[GuiUnattended]

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

[userData]

ProductID=VWV7H-TF8FC-BDGGD-GDPCK-T3Y9W

FullName=""

OrgName=""

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

Mandrake: If you're using VMWare, you're splitting your machine resources up. Is it possible that you've allocated too much RAM to your VM session and you're swapping to disk all the time? I've done this once when I first started using VMWare and my VM session ground to a virtual halt :blushing:

Tybos: If you're taking that long to install, I'm with the others in saying you've maybe got a problem with the R/W media. However, I'd think you'd be able to hear the heads on your drive seeking back in forth if it was having problems reading the disc? Do you notice if the drive light is on constantly or does it cycle on/off?