Question about activation

I've been reading about these activation bypass (read: automation) methods, and I'm just wondering a few things. With the OEMBIOS.bin method, will the wizard take note of the system configuration, or will it just ignore it? I'm using XP Pro, and trying to mass-install on 3 different machine types, and it's really pathetic to have to buy corporate for just that reason, when we already own pro.

:ph34r:

trying to mass-install on 3 different machine types, and it's really pathetic to have to buy corporate for just that reason,
:sneaky:

Dell OEM version of Pro

dells oem version counter checks the bios of the board. unless all 3 are the same

it wont work. u will hv to bypass/hack... which is not allow to be talked about here. sorry.

the topic u linked to is for a single machine. not for replication on "mass-install".

if u like the software u should pay for it.

correct me if i am wrong, cuz i buy a lot of dell workstations. Don't they all come

with their own OS when u get them?

so i think u might be trying to install the dell oem on non dell PCs? :rolleyes:

so i think u might be trying to install the dell oem on non dell PCs? :rolleyes:

no, most definately not, and I'm quite insulted by that accusation (and for god's sake, xp pro corp is all over the net, why the heck would I mess around with a dell oem cd?). Our inventory, if you must know, consists of roughly 25 Dell Optiplex GX280s, 30 GX260s, and 40 GX240s (and a few iMacs, but I don't touch those). All of these PCs have their own individual XP product keys. Most of them are in one very big lab that uses the Altiris imaging software, but a few (some 240s, a couple 260s, and maybe 2 280s) are in a much smaller lab that can't access the altiris server, that's why I'm doing this CD in the first place. Since these are public PCs, we reimage them regularly to keep them up to date and remove anything that people might have installed (like wildtangent, etc.). Due to the server problems tho, some of the PCs in the other lab are still using the original OEM installation, and run like crap because they're so clogged up. Also, from my understanding, there should be no issue whatsoever with using the same key on several different PCs, providing that we own enough keys to cover all of them, which we do. Anything else?

But thank you for the info anyways, I'll look for other ways through this, I hate the idea of paying for a slightly different version of the same software as we already own, it's like buying a new car just to get a flowmaster exaust, imo

You have a few options.

If you want to install with one licence on all the machines you own you NEED a site licence, you can buy the rights to as many machines as you own and use the nessary code that is provided for the bisness.

If you do not already have this then this is probley not a great idea considering it would cost a great deal of cash, and from reading your posts your trying to avoid doing that.

Another and fully legit way of doing it would to to make a windows unattended cd using one particular Code from one of the many machines. Then incorperate a windows sysprep reseal into the OS and after you install all nessary apps and drivers, you can run the sysprep tool and reboot. Upon next start up it will prompt the user for the unique code attached to the workstation or desktop. this will then delete the previos code you used in the install and replace it with the unique one entered.

|Drew|

amp_man,

Let's again go over what you basically want...

You have a few OEM cds of windows XP, which you want to install on OEM pcs (with customizations probably).

Now as far as oembios.bin goes, you need to think of it only when you have OEM discs that enable you to not activate at all! (in these cases, the activation is associated to the system bios)

If you do have such discs for each PC, then just make a common unattending procedure, and make a multi-boot CD/DVD (so that each individual install option contains a different oembios and each will get activate properly).

If you don't have such a thing (i.e., you find that you still need to enter your key and activate) then don't even worry about the oembios.bin method - since it does not make any difference to you no matter which oembios you use.

umm..... re-reading the above, I don't seem to have made it clear to understand...

Now does the above explain it properly? Any questions?

thanks prathapml, never would have thought of that, but it's exactly the option I was looking for :thumbup

afaik, these do have the correct oembios.bin, but I can't be completely sure until I check. But, since these computers are all exactly identical, if that doesn't work, I think I can use license backups and the multiboot