DNS Problem with Server 2003

Hello all,

I've been busy last week deploying a Windows 2003 std server along with some WinXP clients.

Here is the basic:

1- I deployed their domain on the 2003 Server (ex: newdomain.com)

2- The same server is also providing DHCP and DNS for the clients

3- This company has a website and Email hosted by their ISP

The problem is that if I use my 2003 Server for DNS, it won't resolve their website adress and the Email account inside their network. (ex: http://www.newdomain.com and pop3.newdomain.com hosted externally)

So for now, my workaround was to use the DNS service provided thru the router and not using the one on the 2003 Server. But, doing this is tough because I had to log every computer with their account username and password to make sure they can log in locally on their computer... you get the idea.

Checkout this website: DNS

Basically the DNS server running on your Windows Server 2003 should hold host records for the internal desktop, laptop, server resources etc. You can then setup the ISP DNS servers as to do Forward Lookups. Check the DNS Server Properties --> Forwarders tab.

This way any requests for internal resources on the network will receive a reply from the internal DNS server. Any requests for external resources, ie: servers at ISP will be forwarded from the internal DNS server to the ISP's DNS servers for an authoritative reply.

The website mentioned above covers this implementation in more detail.

I've been testing the forwarder option without success.

According to this webpage, I cannot do what I am looking for...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...duct=winsvr2003

Authoritative DNS servers cannot forward queries for the domain names for which they are authoritative. For example, the authoritative DNS server for the zone research.microsoft.com cannot forward queries according to the research.microsoft.com domain name

Unless you setup the internal DNS servers with the same domain name and IP address scheme they should NOT be the authoritative source for queries. That function should rest with the ISP's DNS servers.

Keep your internal hosts in their own domain, like company.int, not company.com.

See if that helps straighten things out.

Yeah, after many tests, I came to the conclusion that I have to change the domain name to something like:

local.newdomain.com

or

newdomain.local

I don't know which one is better? And I guess I'll have to start all over again and uninstall/reinstall Active Directory and the DNS service. Crap!

Is there any simpler way to do this?