USB keyboard/Mouse

I’ve searched for an answer to this but with no luck. I have made an unattended cd for use at work and had no problems until now.

All our new pcs have no ps/2 ports so we have to use USB keyboards and mice. As soon as the install gets to the username screen, the mouse and keyboard stop working, making the whole install useless.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this.

Cheers

The bios was the first thing I checked and it is enabled. Keyboard and mouse work fine until you get to the login screen and then nothing.

This is also the case if I use an original windows xp disk with service pack 2 installed. Works fine until login screen.

The only way I have got the mouse and keyboard working is if I use the pc companies reinstallation disk to install windows, but this installs so much other rubbish and I can’t make it unattended.

They are Dell pcs, the keyboard and mice are just basic models, no hotkeys etc, with USB connectors and no drivers supplied.

I contacted Dell but the person couldn’t understand what I was trying to ask so I gave up in the end.

I know that windows install generic drivers during the install process and this is why I can use the keyboard and mice then. But once install is over they don’t work at all.

I was thinking it might have something to do with USB drivers, but am unsure

Any ideas would be great as I have 20 pcs waiting to be configured and it would save me days worth of work if I could find a solution.

Cheers

They are Dell pcs, the keyboard and mice are just basic models, no hotkeys etc, with USB connectors and no drivers supplied.

That is what we have here -- we have OptiPlex GX270s with USB keyboard and mouse. But they work fine for my unattended install.

I assume you have ALL the proper drivers being installed from winnt.sif, including the chipset? That one is key, since it includes USB drivers.

I think "Professor Frink" may have worked it out. I’m using the cd I used from our old systems and had overlooked updated the chipset driver. I'm almost 100% sure that this is what is causing the problem. I will try it out and see if it works, ill be back if it doest.

Thank you all for your help. You have saved me a lot of work

I've run into this before on several PCs, XP & 98.

Some of them, it seems like the windows driver is conflicting with the BIOS support.

If you're still having problems, you might try disabling the USB keyboard/mouse support in the BIOS. Kind of a last try solution though, as you probably will not be able to access the BIOS again without clearing the CMOS.

snap same problem with dell computers, just had to install 5 new ones from scratch cause they came with xp home not profesional.

Installed ok but lost the mouse and keyboard, but after swaping the keyboard and mouse to other ports and doing a rest afew times the computer detected them.

why ohhh why do you need usb keyboards and mice anyway, ps2 works fine and if you attach to usb you just use up ports leading you to fork out money to buy a hub