help SATA RAID 0 + XP install

Orsi

hey there,

I just bought a second Seagate Barruca 200GB SATA hard disk, first in installed it normally, no problem except the fact Windows XP SP2 didn't found it so I had to format it via Partition Magic. Then it worked perfectly.

Then I built a RAID 0 array (with a cluster size of 4kb or 64kb) and began a clean XP install. So here start the problems:

- the setup didn't recognize as a 400GB HD but as a two 200 GB just like no RAID were set up. Even so I tried to install XP in one of the two discs shown but after the first setup part the system was rebooted and that's it. Everything I saw was a blank screen...

So, am I doing something wrong?

Please, reply as soon as you can ;)

tks

HI, i've only done one raid--

what's the mobo / raid firmware?

In your bios, you enabled raid-- and had it try to detect the hard drives?...Device Manager lists your sata controller & w/ no problems......

btw, you wouldn't get one 400 listed, would you?

in this discuss: http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cf...hreadid=1494781

here are some pertintent questions:

Did you load both drivers (Bootdrv menu option E) from floppy (F6 option)? [ie, must select from the floppy two times b4 Win XP starts to install]

What are settings in BIOS? Hard drive Boot order and BIOS boot priority (2nd page), and SATA/RAID options (3rd page)

R U using SATA 0 & SATA 1 connectors?

Do you have any other HDD w/ an OS on them connected to mainboard?

What HDDs in RAID 0? [WD36 or WD74DGD]

On the 1st reboot did U see F10 option (RAID array) after POST, but b4 the OS should install/load?

Where is DVD/CD drive IDE 0 or 1, Master or slave?

Which Ver XP (H/P), SP (1/2) ?

One guide: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=830&page=5

Dux guide: http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/mb/abit/kx7-333/raid1.htm

In the first two pages of this 'advanced' unattended article they get into adjusting the raid drivers & xp install in detail.. http://www.beginnerspc.com/articles.cfm?ar...eid=1703&page=5

hth.....

A mirror aray of two drives is only half the capacity of two drives. 2 200GB drives is only 200GB when mirrored.

RAID5 3 200GB drives is only 400GB total. Add a 4th 200GB drive and you get 700GB of space.

Hmm, RAID0 is Stripe set array..

Did you try to flash your MBO Bios?

not really...

My motherboard is an Abit NF7-S and it has a Silicon Image 3112A RAID Controller, I heard this controller needs some extra steps in XP setup.

Is it right?

not really...

My motherboard is an Abit NF7-S and it has a Silicon Image 3112A RAID Controller, I heard this controller needs some extra steps in XP setup.

Is it right?

Unfortunatelly I can't tell you 'cause I really don't know. Try to google for this MBO or visit manufacturers web site for more information regarding updating ur BIOS..

The reason this is not working, is your raid is software based raid not hardware. You will need to load the drivers before the disk will be recognised as a stripe.

You should have on the motherboard/raid CD the ability to make a drivers disk. Perform the necessary steps. Once done boot off you Windows XP boot CD and press F6 to install drivers. Watch for the message as System boots of CD.

If you don't know how to make the Drivers disk, let me know and I'll create an image for you, but I would suggest using the one provided(Floppy Disk normally) with the Motherboard or using the Image Creation utility on the Motherboards Software CDROM.

MrTea > I loaded the drivers in the beggining of the setup (in fact I'd slipstreamed them)...

Last time I tried to install XP I got the message "NTLDR is missing" after the first setup reboot

Hi Orsi, you will need to configure the two disks for raid 0 in the SATA raid bios (usually by pressing CTRL+S or CTRL+h). This option is usually available just after the system bios option, there is usually a prompt giving this option. Once this is configured you need to reinstall windows, pressing F6 when prompted for raid drivers.

sveneric > that is done, that's why I reinstaalled XP in a third HD (a PATA one) and right now I can use the RAID 0 disks... the problem is I can't install XP in it...

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a similar problem with my new Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe on the nvidia raid controller.

I know this is not your problem but it may help.

This raid controller comes with 2 drivers,

"NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER (required)" nvraid.sys

"NVIDIA NForce Storage Controller (required)" nvatabus.sys

In order to pickup the raid array (instead of 2 independant drives, as per your problem) I had to load,

"NVIDIA NForce Storage Controller (required)" FIRST then load,

"NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER (required)" afterwards (pressing S to add one after the other).

Once I did this I could partition my 140gb raid 0 array and install properly.

Hope this helps!

For all you slipstreamers, I guess this would also apply, making sure the NForce Storage Controller is loaded before the Raid Class Driver.

sveneric > that is done, that's why I reinstaalled XP in a third HD (a PATA one) and right now I can use the RAID 0 disks... the problem is I can't install XP in it...

Thay may be because XP is using the PATA drive as the boot device. Try this...

1. on the PATA drive, delete the boot.ini file

2. Power down & remove the PATA drive.

3. You should now be able to install XP on the RAID array.

4. When complete, power down again and re-insert the PATA drive.

5. XP will configure the PATA drive as secondary.

Hope this helps.