IRQ Changing in WinXP

frees

I don't have a direct answer, but i hope my experience can be of use to you: I had a heck of a time last year creating a raid system w/ a dual lan gibabyte board & win2k-- windows would only start with the dual lan disabled.

What i tried was toggling acpi on/off to allow manually changing irq-- which required format & re-install of the OS-- so that in the bios I could then manually assign IRQ's to the peripherals in question w/ the share issue. The bios supported assigning irq's to most peripherals, but not all-- including the ones i needed to.

Next i tried swapping components connected to the different pci slots-- and while this accomplished irq assigments to be different, some unassignable peripheral always wound up sharing irq with the dual lan( which would be on two different irq's). This was frustrating because i had plenty of open free irq's & empty pci slots(4 or 5 total)... i even tried using a combo keyboard/mouse to try to free up one extra component requiring irq assignment-- no dice. There was one way which did work: by totally removing the dialup modem-- but they wanted to keep it.

The research i did on the web uncovered folks downloading modded bioses & using text installs of peripherals-- something that would not be advisable in my case, since i'd be shipping the system to some customer clear across the country.

I tried every version of win2k & win2k3: pro, server..... none worked. It happened to be a dual boot with win98-- which took handled everything flawlessly: raid, sata, dual lan, usb2, firewire.... Winxp also worked flawlessly, but was not wanted for their business, so we swapped mobo to an Asus.

Good Luck.