computer gone mad!

matrix0978

OK welll last night i installed SP2 and did all that.i left my computer on over night but turned off the monitor.(save electricity) So i wake up this morning and i turn on the monitor/moved my mouse and nothing came up. It just stayed as a black screen. So i shut down my computer, and restarted and the screen the comes up. And this also happened when i came home from school.

2nd problem: when i get to the desktop, it takes like forever to load and then it like freeze, goes like 1mhz its crazy and i dont know whats going on...

3rd Problem: and now when i turn on my computer a message pops ups saying:

Safe mode

Safe mode with Networking

Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Start windows normally.

And i click on start windows normally and it freezes!?

Edited by matrix0978

Does it boot fine into a win98 DOS boot disk?

Or better, a bartPE rescue disk? if so, you can copy away required files from C: drive to some other partition.

Then just use a friend's PC to do the slip-stream to CD, and bring the cd and format C:, re-install. B)

Sp2 really isent ment to be installed over the top of a currently running Xp.

Like others have stared follow the slipstrem guides on MSFN homepage that can help you avoid these types of issues.

Commenly when a systems has a prexisting install of windows, the user has obtained some adware, spyware malware and even viruses. In addition to that a mass amount of aplications that are not fully supported by Sp2.

When you install ontop of this existing mess of software many issues(Like the problems your finding)

Reinstall with a slipstreamed Sp2 Xp and you will be golden

|Drew|

just out of curiosity, have you checked your hardware?

Not every problem can be solved with a format/reinstall. And if reinstalling XP to a formatted hard drive has had no effect then its more than likely either the hard drive, the graphics card, the mobo or monitor has gone belly up.

Since your main problem is a display issue, swap your monitor, even plug the machine into the TV if you don't have a spare one.

Next check the monitor, plugging it into another system, if its a CRT then the tube may be crapped. check the power button works and doesn't stick in place, when switching on/off.

This way you've eliminated/fingered the monitor as the culprit.

If its not the monitor (ie the PC still wont display on another screen)

maybe your mobo/bios is shot. Strip the machine of everything and boot it with just the hard drive, graphics card, CD-rom and keyboard to check if it boots (if the hard drive is kicking into action and you can get to the bios, it probably isn't the mobo, though the hard drive itself may be corrupted if the drive stops after a few seconds and starts crunching instead of purring).

Boot an MS-DOS floppy, or boot from CD (98 or XP, even linux!) - does this work?

Swap your components out with other machines, especially the hard drive, graphics card, to check they work independant of the current system. Move them to a new test sytem or replace them in the current (broken) one. If they all work separately in another system, the problem points to the mobo.

Check whether the graphics card is seated in its slot correctly and it has sufficient cooling. I've had my fair share of overcooked cards killing the machine, and a machine without a graphics card wont boot.

If the mobo has on-board graphics turn this on in the bios (if you can see it). This takes away the graphics card from the equation. The display won't be pretty but it should work.

Finally check all your cables. The birds nest you find behind the PC hides many sins and many cables can be worked loose if the case is moved often enough.

I'm not saying this will be your problem, but elminate the hardware as the problem and you're left with a software (read XP) issue.