2003 server Web Edition

m3m0mx

Hi everybody !

I would like to know if somebody have deployed Microsoft Windows Update Services (WUS) on a windows 2003 server Web edition...

I've read that for this (web edition) I don't need licenses for any client (CAL's)..

I would like to know anything that could helps me...

thanx !

true, you don't because you can't make it serve clients as stanard edition ... anyway, not really sure about WUS, but I know that WUS server must me a member of a AD domain, but must NOT be a domain controller ...

Basically you MUST have CALs for Windows server. Anyway, there is no registration key for CALs, so server will not prevent your clients accessing the server ... (but anyway it's the legal approach that matters)

"To summarize, if you are updating your machines using a SUS or WUS server running on Windows Server 2003, Web Edition, and you are not using a remote database for the WUS server, no CALs are required to update these machines. In all other situations, you need a a Windows or Core CAL for each machine running WUS or SUS that you are updating."

WUS will require a database if it is to be effective. Since that database can't run on Win2K3 WE, it will require a seperate machine with Win2K3 and the database plus the CALs to connect to that database.

If you stick WUS on a Win2K3 Standard server box with the approiate CALS, plus SQL for the WUS database, you are covered.

Sticking WUS on Win2K3 WE will not save you any money...