Limited or No Connectivity on Intel Pro 100 /ve

Spinman

sorry if i seem to be starting up an ancient topic but it seems relevant in this thread rather than to start a new one but yea...

have a dell computer with a intel pro/100 ve card

installed winxp sp2 then internet connection dies

uninstall sp2 - internet connection remains dead

so reinstall

come across this thread

uninstall driver+reinstall - nothing new - ie. net connection still dead

installed the microsoft update stated in this forum - nothing new again

reboot into safe mode - net connection working!!

reboot back into normal mode - dead again

reboot back into safe mode then change network identification then reboot - still dead

tried pulling the plug for >1 min - still dead

tried using ping and tracert on urls - works

this is so weird...

i connect to the internet using a router and all the other computers are working fine

o and even MS networking aint working on the machine with the bugged card.

can someone please help me?! ive spent more than a week trying to figure this out!?!

Thanks,

Jeff

• 2 months later...

Though I would add my 2 cents worth.

I have a clients Dell. It had viruses and spyware all over it. They called me because the internet went down. I removed the spware and viruses. The machine feels really good, quick, stable. But the on board Intel connections does not work. Tried rebuilding the TCP stack, no luck. Added a Dlink DFE 538 PCI card, got an IP address and updated windows. Life was good. Then I rempved the Dlink card. Back to no connection. The intel utility say the card is working. It also tells me that I am connected at 100MB, but my switch says 10MB. I really don't believe it is a hardware issue. I have seen this before, and it was software left over from the Malware. I just can't seem to rip this stuff out this time. Any suggestions?

The card almost looks as though some form of firewall software is blocking the card and windows from working together.

I have tried almost everything on these **** computers!

I am an IT Administrator at a company and we have about 5 Intel computers and about 10 others. The intels all have the same exact motherboards and programs. But just 2 of them do not want to work! Before, everything was ok, they worked perfectly with the servers and everything was just fine and dandy...but just recently, one day they decided to have "limited or no connectivity". I have tried everything that you people have said to do and it still does not work

I got the original CD and uninstalled the driver for the card and then re-installed it and rebooted...no dice. I have used that patch that you have given me earlier...no cigar.

All of the Intel Motherboards have an Intel[R] PRO/100 VE Network Connection built into the motherborad itself...so it cannot be a problem with the card itself...because there is no card to worry about, but this gets really frustrating...especially when my co-workers come to me asking "when will you fix this problem?"

Someone help me!

If anyone has ANY advice...please E-Mail me!

Edited by MDVill

:thumbup New Update!

I changed my IP Address on each computer that was having the problem to 192.168.1.* and the Default Gateway to 192.168.1.* ... It works perfectly for getting onto the server and accessing files, which was the most important thing, but there is still one more problem. The internet cannot be accessed.

A hint to this problem might be that right when I changed the IP address and exited out (changing the settings) I noticed that a new icon appeard in the Network Connections...

Sorry, but my co-workers are using their computers at the moment (go figure) and I cannot access their computers at this moment. But I do remember that it was some kind of Internet Connections Icon. And when I viewed the detailes...it said that it was disabled, so I try to Enable it, naturally. But to my greatest surprise, it would not enable! WOW! I never saw that one coming!

So if anyone has any more information on this non-enabeling Icon, please contact me. Or Post your answer to my great dillemma below this, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

These steps are for windows XP

Here are a fiew steps to resolve the route issue ip address: 0.0.0.0, and in some cases also resolves the 169.254.x.x issue and in a fiew cases resolves the LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY message in windows xp Service Pack 2

Here is a little background in the 169.254.x.x ip address, ususly we cannot release a 169 because we will get a fresh 169.254.x.x…. and this same ip address it translates to LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY in sp2, because if we go to the prompt (start, run, cmd) and do a ipconfig /all we will notice an ip address 169

IMPORTANT:

1.-Before trying this, make sure that the nxtt test shows test code:0000 or 0002 any other test code refer to CLONE to see what it means because it’s possible with other test codes, the steps wont work

2-also make sure that these two options are selected in the TCP/IP properties:

HERE ARE THE STEPS:

Step 1, we must disconnect the modem from all 3 cables so that the modem can be completely off (the power cord, the ethernet cable and the phone line), if we have a router, it is recommended to connect the modem directly to the pc

Step 2, we are going to network connections and here is a short cut, click on start, run, And then we are going to type nca.cpl, then hit enter or click ok

...then:

we are going to right-click on the local area connection and we are going to select Disable, (it is necessary to disable the connection because it will reset the registry values in the winsock keys in the registry)

Step 3, then we are going to close the local area connections windows and we are going to enter the services local, so we can reset (restart) the DCHP client

Here is the short cut to the services, we are going to click on start, run, services.msc and click ok or hit enter

then we will do one click (highlight) the DHCP client and on the left side we will see the options “stop” and “restart”, we are going to click on restart and we will see for a split secord the following window:

***Note: as we can see the dhcp client sess: Manages network configurations by registering and updating IP addresses and DNS names. That is why it is necessary to restart the dhcp client so that the ip address can be reset

Step 4.in order to have a new ip address it is necessary to SHUT DOWN the pc, NOT RESTAR, but to completely shut down the pc

Step 5, we will proceed on connecting the modem until we get a solid green light (ready or dsl light), then we will turn on the pc again (Note:in these steps we do powercycle on all cpe)

Step 6, we will go back to network connections like in step 2, and by double clicking the Local Area Connection, it will be enabled and over 90% of the times it will resolve the issue IP address: 0.0.0.0 and like it was mentioned on top in some cases it will resolve 169.254.x.x and limited or no connectivity , if the avove steps do not resolve the situation then it is recommended to uninstall the NIC and that can only be done with a local TECH!!….. good luck!!

i work for the Verizon DSL tech support....and this help me a lot...and also to my coustumers...have FuN...hope it worked for you

-eMc2H-

• 2 years later...

Hi gang, just thought I'd let you know what fixed this problem for me. It is really simple when you think of it. Go to Start-control panel-internet and network connections-network connections; there you'll see your network connection that is "LIMITED OR NO CONNECTIVITY" Right click on it, click properties then you see the network card and the TCP/IP window. Click configure for the network card. The will be a tab named Advanced, click on it. There will be a long list of settings you can change, find the one for Link speed and duplex. It should be in auto detect. Put it on 10Mbits/s full duplex and Voila. You should be set. The network card icon on the task bar should change to unplugged wire and change back to recieving IP adress real fast and it WILL find it and you'll be connected.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I've tried everything this in this post and NOTHING fixed it until I changed the speed setting.