I just put myself together a new PC with the following hardware:

- AMD Sempron 2400 CPU @ 1.67GHz

- ASRock K7 Upgrade-880 Motherboard

- 512MB Kingston PC2700 Single Channel Value RAM

- 80GB Seagate Barracuda SATA/150 Hard Drive

- nVidia GeForce FX 5500 256MB AGP 8x

- On-board C-Media 5.1 3D Audio

- On-board VIA Rhine NIC

I am experiencing poor performance (random frame and audio hitches) in Half-Life 2, and it's extremely annoying. My older machine, in fact, had much better performance in HL2.

Any suggestions or feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

--Quinn

I heard about some problems with HL2 audio.

Have you done the usual?

• Installed the latest nVidia drivers (BTW the FX cards are by far the crapest nVidia have ever made. I never thought I'd switch to ATI but I've just bought a 9800 Pro and am pretty pleased. That's not to say I won't switch back however. nVidia just had a bad day when they came up with the FX range. I know I bought one!)
  • Next check your sound drivers
  • Often overlooked but can also be the cause are the motherboard drivers. I always use the chipset manufacturers drivers because the board manfacturers are always behind. Naturally.
  • Have you checked the HL2 forums?

Some of this is pretty obvious but I mention it because there are some specific issues that have been mentioned regarding HL2. nVidia recently updated their drivers to fix some issues with HL2 so check it out.

the audio glith is normal on "all" the systems. the latest online patch from valve solves it.

you can see my system specs on my signature and i still have those problems (1024x768 detailed models and AA4x, Filtering Trilinear). anyway your video card is a bit old and probably could not handle HL2 the same as a 5950 or even a radeon 9800 non-pro.