Help! Laptop reboots in endless loop!

durex

Okay... so Ill give you the short version and the long version...

Short Version- When my laptop gets to the Windows Loading screen (black with progress bar) after like a sec or 2 you see a blue screen of death for not even a second and the automatically reboots... this continues to happen regardless if I choose safe mode or normal... Is there anyway I can find what this error says or fix this problem?

Long Version- This all started when I downloaded the newest Adaware SE. Every time I ran it it would get stuck on the same file, time after time. I did a search on their forums and they said to run Windows CheckDisk.

So I run it, but I get a message saying that it cant run cause certain files are in use or something and that it will be run upon next reboot. I reboot and before windows loads it goes to start CheckDisk, but it says 'Cannot gain exclusive access to disk' or something along those lines, and it doesnt run and boots back into windows. I do a search on this and find that this is a known issue with WinXP SP1 and a couple suggest to try running it in safe mode.

So I boot into safe mode and it starts displaying the list of all of the drivers its loading. It gets to mup.sys and stops.. but it sounds like my HDD is working so I let it sit. I come back and it doesnt sound like its doing a **** thing, so I hard reboot.

Next time it comes back up it gets to the windows xp loading screen (black with status bar) and after a sec a BSOD appears for not even a sec and it reboots. I try booting into safe mode but it starts down the driver list and reboots automatically. Also tried booting 'Last Known Configuration' with no luck.

This is on a newer Dell laptop, which has a designated partition that you can boot into to run diagnostic stuff. I ran pretty much every test- HDD, RAM, etc and it passed everything. Ive got no idea what I did or how to fix it...

Help!!

When you load your PC press F8 and select "disable automatic restart on system failure". This will allow you to view the error at the blue screen. Once you get that you can either post it here and someone will help you.

I've seen similar things happen with adware infections. Similar, but not identical

The continuous rebooting was there, but not the BSOD, at least not that I saw in my situation

I'd probably boot from a BartPE disk, save my data to an external drive or some other media, and format

check out http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ for more info

Durex:

aaahhh,,, is this the exact error message? 'Cannot gain exclusive access to disk' Google comes up w/ nothing, nada, zero, zip, zilch, tipota, niente.....

Assuming that you don't want to format / re-install right away, & you were only on sp1 as you stated; that you are able to & have already thoroughly scanned for malware(very, very important in case of a boot sector virus)-- anyways do a Find for netut80.vxd and remove it if present.

Are you auto-running SpeedDisk, DiskKeeper? Disable-- can cause conflicts w/ chkdsk, that endless reboot loop...... You may then be able to run Chkdsk /p & then /r... or you may first need to repair your MBR(after having thoroughly scanned it for viruses).

If you had recently applied windows update, see these:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...in_04nov23.mspx AND download: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

There is also in my mind, a possibility that MS is not being forthright about another possible real cause. Read about what's been happening similarly with mup.sys & win2k since over 3 years ago: For this issue http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q150807/ A solution was given by MS which caused this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=824288 and http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/s...i?/10084921.htm

In such a case, maybe a solution could be to disable, maybe even uninstall temporarily most/all such clients before applying windows patches- or just not updating win2k to sp3 /4, winxp to sp2???

Pls do this irregardless of whether previous MS fix applied to you:

Flash your bios-- if no update available, reflash w/ last version-- AND disable boot virus protection in Bios(you can always enable this in your AV): it has caused issues w/ MBR & possibly w/ mup.sys IF you needed to repair your MBR, all the more reason to disable that Bios setting.

Note: as you're troubleshooting, disabling mup.sys may or may not allow Windows to start again & run normally for a bit-- but this will likely only be temporary.

If none of this worked & you're reinstalling Windows, please do a full, not quick format. You could also maybe toggle ACPI, but i would wait to do this only if the windows reinstall returned same symptoms: you cannot toggle ACPI back w/o damaging the current windows install(in case you developed peripheral / irq issues, thus necessitating toggling the setting back).

There are plenty of fixes all over the web re changing / re-seating psu, usb, pci slots, ram, hard disks-- often in combo w/ some of these other fixes-- i don't believe those are the answer: often the problem has returned in many instances.

I believe it's one of the following:

1. Bios boot AV conflict w/ some NTFS feature.

2. Bios corruption or non-compatibility w/ some win2k/XP function.

3. A win2k/xp patch.

4. Boot Sector Virus

Good Luck, keep us appraised......

I just noticed AutoPatcherXP 5 was just released yesterday:

this can save you AND be used in lieu of a format & reinstall(not always, of course, but works more often than not-- for more serious problems I actually prefer it much more than SFC & Repair) IF you allow it to replace ALL files: EVEN if the new ones are older(very important to allow this-- you'll catch all possible damaged, etc. files, even ones Windows may miss!)-- though this likely won't apply in your case, since you're getting the very latest, just out....

I would now use this as my first option, second would be SFC / chkdsk / Repair / etc., third reinstall XP and NOT go to SP2....

Highly recommended.. basically a scaled down, customized windows XP that runs from a CD. Big following similar to MSFN where tons of people have contributed tons of addins for it, including driver integration, applications, utilities and customization.

Very helpful for PC's that wont boot into Win... just like I had!