Another help please topic

bbbrc

I need a little help; actually I need a lot of help. About a year ago when I tried to install service pack 1 the whole **** computer crashed. I ended up using some tool (which I don’t remember how I got to it) to wipe out everything and had to reinstall XP (not sure if I reinstalled or used some repair tool) and all other programs. Everything went OK except I could not find my program key for my FrontPage 2002 program.

OK let’s flash forward to the present. I have tried to download a program, Stopzillia, to stop popups. I keep getting this page.

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Please try the following:

• Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

• If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

• To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

• If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.

If you would like Windows to try and discover them,

click Detect Network Settings

• Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.

• If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.

• Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error

Internet Explorer

I get this message at any site where it requires me to go to another page to fill out a form. (Hmmm could be a clue) This happens when I click to go to the form page.

I went to microsoft’s web site and searched around and found what might be the problem, update 831167. I go to download update 831167 and I get a massage I need service pack 1.

With much trepidation I go ahead and try to download service pack 1, I get a message that I need Internet Explorer 6. I have Internet Explorer 6 but I go ahead and download it and try to down load service pack 1 again. Now I get a message after I get to 87% installed that says.

Software Installation

Red button with an X init

Software Installation

The software you are installing has not passed windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with windows XP (Tell me why the testing is important).

OK

Well fine a microsoft software package that has not passed it’s logo testing.

I can live without it I think, but can I.

I go and try to load a new copy of FrontPage 2003. I get this message

Setup has detected an incomplete windows XP service pack installation on your computer.

I can't download anything from any web site.

My computer is a HP Pavilion that is over two years old. If any one can understand my babbling please help

Thanks

Bob

Wow!

OK bbrc, many of your issues may - or may not, be related to each other.

The first thing that I would advise is STOP INSTALLING STUFF. Only very rarely can you fix it by putting in more sh*t - it usually makes things worse.

Next - Backup ALL of your documents etc so that you have a fallback position if/when it all goes pear shaped. And virus-scan your backups, otherwise you may re-introduce any malware that could be causing problems.

Now - take a careful and systematic tour of your machine and note (exactly) what it is doing - or failing to do. Make a list - then come back.

Your connection problem seems like some form of hi-jacking?

Personally I would cut my loses and format/re-install once I'd backed up. You can spend days or weeks trying to fix - or re-install and be going again in an hour (the Pavilions come with HP restore CD's don't they?)

Wow!

OK bbrc, many of your issues may - or may not, be related to each other.

The first thing that I would advise is STOP INSTALLING STUFF. Only very rarely can you fix it by putting in more sh*t - it usually makes things worse.

Next - Backup ALL of your documents etc so that you have a fallback position if/when it all goes pear shaped. And virus-scan your backups, otherwise you may re-introduce any malware that could be causing problems.

Now - take a careful and systematic tour of your machine and note (exactly) what it is doing - or failing to do. Make a list - then come back.

Your connection problem seems like some form of hi-jacking?

Personally I would cut my loses and format/re-install once I'd backed up. You can spend days or weeks trying to fix - or re-install and be going again in an hour (the Pavilions come with HP restore CD's don't they?)

Thanks SparTacuS

I have regrettably come to the same conclusion that you have. This was my last resort before doing what you suggested.

Thanks

BigBadBob

That's a really bad situation, Bob!

The easiest thing to do now, would be to move away all required files and settings and e-mails, etc. from your C: drive to D:

Then after that, use your HP recovery CD as said above, or format C: and re-install Windows XP in the normal way. Then install Service Pack 2. And then install your normal apps.

All of that should take approx. one hour!

Whereas, trying to find where the problem is, and so on might take many days.

EDIT:

oops, read your conclusion too late.

I'd like to know where you got the SP1 that didn't pass the logo testing

Not from microsoft I'm assuming. That could have been the whole source of your problems :whistle:

Get all updates from windows update, it's safe that way

I'd like to know where you got the SP1 that didn't pass the logo testing

Not from microsoft I'm assuming. That could have been the whole source of your problems :whistle:

Get all updates from windows update, it's safe that way

I got the download from microsoft download center. I don't think the download is the problem.

My ISP is Earthlink through a dish. I had loaded their Total Access and it seems that's when my trouble started. I tried to talk to their support staff but I got someone who I couldn't understand and she couldn't understand me. Sounded like she was from India.

Things are so screwed up now that I belive that the only salution is to remove XP and start all over. I hoped that someone here would have another suggestion that might not be so severe but it is what it is. My biggest problem now is that we have moved to BFE and all of my computer stuff is in storage and of course it's some of the first stuff that I put in the storage building. :realmad: I'm building a storage building out here now and sould be able to get to my stuff in about a week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bob