How to install MSN Messenger

Ctwizzy

That would be good :) , either use VMware or Virtual PC 2004, its basically a pc on your computer. Make sure you install the Vmware tools from vmware or the tools for Virtual PC (cant remember name) but its easily found. this allows you to copy files from real pc to virtual PC.

FFS, there is a reg entry.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSNMessenger]

No need to do any regsnapping. There are going to be some registry entries not needed, but this is by far a simpler way to do it. If you have an install with your settings configured, just export from the location above, then when you're installing, just import the settings and install silently.

That's what I've done and it works a treat.

There are going to be some registry entries not needed

True. Use a good judgement. Don't copy all the entries in your registry, because most of them are automatically generated by the installer and on first run. So those reg entries aren't necessary. For example, the file path. Obviously, that one is automatically generated. If you copy that entry, and then you install your software to a different location, your software will not work.

I wish I can help with this software, but unfortunately I don't use msn messenger. :lol:

FFS, there is a reg entry.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSNMessenger]

No need to do any regsnapping. There are going to be some registry entries not needed, but this is  by far a simpler way to do it. If you have an install with your settings configured, just export from the location above, then when you're installing, just import the settings and install silently.

That's what I've done and it works a treat.

Whats FFS?

Your sure its safe to just copy that Dir over? even tho some are not needed?

I think ill prob still no the virtual pc thing and regsnap to be on the safe side, and then whatever ones I see it change ill document for future users.

Thanks

You're sure its safe to just copy that Registry key over? Even though some are not needed?

Yes I am. All of these registry entries you copy over will either stay the same or will be overwritten during install, as long as you import the registry entries, then install MSN Messenger. It will (and does) work fine. The simple option is usually the best one.